Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP! My 'Log Cabin' is falling down : ( (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-my-log-cabin-falling-down-t269961.html)

Ellageo 09-14-2015 05:32 AM

HELP! My 'Log Cabin' is falling down : (

First time making log cabin blocks. I 'thought', I was quite accurate on cutting & sewing...however....I wasn't. Now I have cabins measuring from 7 1/2"-8". Is there an EASY way to solve this???

merry 09-14-2015 05:34 AM

We hada similar problem, we now square each block every time we add a strip & that took care of it.

dunster 09-14-2015 06:12 AM

I never square a log cabin block (i.e. cut fabric from the sides), but I do measure frequently when I start to be sure my seam allowance is consistent. If my measurements are good, then I can measure less frequently.

Is your question what to do now that your blocks are already sewn? Half an inch is really too much to ease in successfully to put 2 blocks of that size together, but if they're very close in size you can do a little easing, not too much or the top won't lie flat and will be difficult to quilt. If most of your blocks are one size or the other, and only a few are the other size, you can take apart the ones that are wrong and fix them by increasing or decreasing the seam allowance. One of the beauties of the log cabin block is that it doesn't usually matter if your blocks are all off from the expected size, as long as they're consistent. I would measure all the blocks, pick a size to aim at (one that would mean the least re-sewing), and then make all the blocks that size, either by shaving a sliver off to make them smaller or taking apart the block to make it bigger or smaller. You may find that you can accomplish this by removing and re-sewing only a few outer logs. Good luck.

ManiacQuilter2 09-14-2015 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by merry (Post 7317003)
We had a similar problem, we now square each block every time we add a strip & that took care of it.

That is what I did. Not my favorite pattern. Have you checked the accuracy of your 1/4" seam??

The only suggest I can give you to salvage the blocks is to remove just the outside strips on blocks under 8" and replace the fabric with a wider strip that will give you the 8" size. I prefer to oversize my blocks, then press and starch then trim them down to perfect size. It is so easy to be off a hair.

Crqltr 09-14-2015 07:23 AM

I have better luck if I starch the strips first.

Prism99 09-14-2015 09:15 AM

I would add another round (or half round) of strips cut extra wide, then trim all blocks to the same size.

cjsews 09-14-2015 12:44 PM

I found that as I press my seams I was stretching the logs. If you carefully press only at the seam this helps a lot

krafty14 09-14-2015 01:47 PM

When making a log cabin, I always cut all my strips to size before I start. Then I "make" them fit as I sew around. My blocks are usually exactly the right size and square. I used to sew the strip on and then cut off the excess, but sometimes the squares weren't so "square".
I like the idea of replacing the last row with a wider strip and cutting down. I think that's what I would do. Good luck! Ann

Pennyhal 09-14-2015 01:52 PM

I cut each strip 1/4" larger than called for. Each time I complete a round I square it up. I cut the final round 1/2" larger than required so that all the blocks end up the same size. I'm not concerned about doing precision piecing when doing this block.

Stitchnripper 09-14-2015 05:12 PM

And I made mine using Eleanor burns method of not cutting strips to size. Never squared anything up and it went together beautifully. Only made one so maybe it was beginners luck.