Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The promise I made (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/promise-i-made-t271113.html)

EasyPeezy 10-15-2015 11:04 AM

The promise I made

A few years ago I promised myself to learn FMQ before I buy a upgrade my machine.
I tried once and it was a complete disaster. Couldn't even get a straight stitch.
I think I set the tension at zero instead of stitch length at zero. LOL
Anyway, long story short. I put FMQ away for a long long time. Then my quilt tops
started accumulating. Don't want to do SID or straight line quilting on a very special
quilt. So my option was...send it to a long armer or do it myself. Huh.
I finally gave FMQ another shot. Made a few quilt sandwiches. Read a few books
on quilting and off I went. Wow. It was almost magical. Nothing like the first attempt.
Ok. I know I have long long way to go but it's really fun and I encourage all quilters
to give it a try. I would also recommend Free-Motion Quilting Made Easy by
Eva Larkin if you just want to get started. Have fun!

[h=1][/h]

Barbara Kantola 10-15-2015 11:26 AM

Good for you! That's wonderful! I recently took a quilting class from Paula Reid from Batts in the Attic and found that I could actually follow a quilting design. I had tried it years ago and was convinced it was not for me. This time around, it was much better. I also always thought I couldn't quilt feathers and I am still not good at it, but I found that I could actually quilt something that resembled a feather! So keep on practicing! It will get better with time and more practice!

Mariposa 10-15-2015 11:35 AM

Congrats on your success with FMQ! Fun! Fun!

Kitsie 10-15-2015 11:48 AM

Happy for you! Sometimes "give it a rest" really helps! :D

ruby2shoes 10-15-2015 02:09 PM

Sigh...."practise makes perfect"...I really should give it another go too.

tessagin 10-15-2015 02:19 PM

It is sometimes one of those, It isn't going to get the better of me. Baby steps.

ManiacQuilter2 10-16-2015 06:16 AM

Remember that FMQ is a lot like riding a bike with no training wheels. It takes practice. I am glad you found something that works for you. I caught on when Harriet Hargrave said not to look at where your needle is at the moment, but to where you want to go.

Quiltngolfer 10-16-2015 10:54 AM

I did the same thing. I am actually getting quite good at FMQ. I worked at it for a long time with my old machine. It just never looked right. When I bought my new Janome 8900, I decided to give FMQ another try. It seemed so easy! I have done quite a bit of it now, and it works. So happy with my new Janome!

Jan in VA 10-16-2015 02:42 PM

I have found over the years that even though my hands may not be quilting for an extended period, it seems my learning/skills/abilities continue to improve.

Not sure how that happens, but it's a truism for me that hasn't failed me yet! :confused: :thumbup:

Jan in VA

just_the_scraps_m'am 10-16-2015 03:41 PM

will have to look for that book -- i tried before, but what a mess that was & it wasn't FUN!