Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   So frustrated with my FeatherWeight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/so-frustrated-my-featherweight-t271983.html)

Onebyone 11-07-2015 01:32 PM

So frustrated with my FeatherWeight

But it was operator error when all said and done. LOL. I couldn't get it to sew a stitch. Cleaned, oiled, rethreaded right to left, new bobbin and still no stitch. Okay dig out the manual. Didn't take long for me to find out I had the flat of the needle going to the right instead of the left. FWs will not sew one stitch if the needle isn't inserted correctly. I know I use to know this!

tessagin 11-07-2015 01:45 PM

Hate to stare right at the problem and it won't let me know. Like a little kid just standing there saying well don't you see it?!! Couldn't get my machines to start up. Lights in ceiling came on power on every where else in the room. Nothing. Looked yep everything plugged in. to. the. power. strip. including. the. power. cord. Works better to plug cord into outlet. Cussed that thing out for 10 mins. Then turned around and looked in the mirror. Turned around again and walked out the room shutting the door behind me. Better to leave it alone for awhile. Works fine now.

ManiacQuilter2 11-07-2015 01:47 PM

I find that I am forgetting many of the basics so I just find I have to walk away and come back later when I have given a lot of thought to the problem. Hang in there.

Boston1954 11-07-2015 01:51 PM

Good one! I was thinking that it was not plugged in.......

pattypurple 11-07-2015 04:33 PM

Been there, done that except I usually put my needle with flat side to the back. Glad you figured it out

Sandra in Minnesota 11-07-2015 07:23 PM

Oh yes, those were the days when we remembered everything that we now forget!

frustratedquilter40 11-07-2015 08:57 PM

I did the exact same thing on my FW today at my quilt guild class I put in a new needle threaded like you did would not sew , re threaded still nothing , got my manual and sure enough flat side of needle wrong side. Nice to know I am not the only one to have this happen. I just don't use mine enough to know the right from wrong way with out looking at the book.

citruscountyquilter 11-08-2015 06:07 AM

I have a friend who was so excited to finally get a Featherweight but she couldn't make it stitch properly. I took a look at it and she had the needle threading from front to back rather than right to left. I changed the needle for her and it sewed like a dream.

Onebyone 11-08-2015 06:18 AM

I made a label to go inside my case that reads: Needle threads right to left. Needle flat side goes to the operator's left. If I forget again I'll have directions. LOL

Mariah 11-08-2015 06:45 AM

I almost totally forgot how to quilt this Summer due to a lot of stress. The simplest things wouldn't come to me. So it is possible to forget everything we ever knew about quilting when we get --"stressed.!"
Mariah