Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ok Here goes-- I want to make a play Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-here-goes-i-want-make-play-quilt-t272005.html)

Up North 11-08-2015 10:18 AM

Ok Here goes-- I want to make a play Quilt

I want to make a play quilt for my newest Grandson to be here in March I have a few ideas but if you think of something else original please let me know Truck with a squeaker (maybe from a dog toy) Crunchy sound maybe an animal or bird, Tire swing with ring attached. Toy keys and a car... I want to make it kind of boy themed so can you think of some others? Help me out here!

ManiacQuilter2 11-08-2015 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My best friend made this for her 3 year old grandson. No pattern info.

Up North 11-08-2015 10:45 AM

That would be cute for my 2 year old grandson Kind of an eye spy road. But for now I want to do a baby tummy time mat with some activities that he can grow into.

Crqltr 11-08-2015 11:20 AM

I made one and put minky handles across a few blocks and attached toy rings, most of them can be opened for hanging on strollers. You can get squeakers at craft stores, I put the plastic wrap from inside cereal boxes (it dosent have any harmful additives in the plastic) inside a block for the crunch factor.

Up North 11-08-2015 11:33 AM

Does the cereal paper crunch even after it is washed? I was thinking something like that or potato chip bag

dunster 11-08-2015 11:38 AM

Also you could use a few fabrics with different textures - corduroy, suede, satin, denim, velvet, etc.

Up North 11-08-2015 11:43 AM

I have never done any applique so this will be interesting to say the least! I do have a list of ideas but need more sound type ideas now and if you know what to use or where to get them!

just_the_scraps_m'am 11-08-2015 01:52 PM

your idea made me think of those little children's blocks that make farm animal noises -- don't think they would be washable, though...maybe if you could tie them on with ribbon somehow & then untie them before washing...sounds interesting, but how do you keep these things from being harmful? [going in the mouth?] i think i would keep them separate from a quilt -- maybe like a little dashboard with velcro things on it.......can't wait to see what you come up with

quiltsRfun 11-08-2015 02:30 PM

You might want to think twice about the squeaker. It could be a choking hazard. Even if sewn inside, babies chew on everything. I know it doesn't take my dogs long to get to them

Up North 11-08-2015 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 7370274)
You might want to think twice about the squeaker. It could be a choking hazard. Even if sewn inside, babies chew on everything. I know it doesn't take my dogs long to get to them

I thought of that with the squeaker but my Daughter it law would be right there at all times I know so I am not sure if I will do that just thinking right now!