Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Just Finished My First Quilt Challenge. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/just-finished-my-first-quilt-challenge-t273310.html)

Sunflowerzz 12-14-2015 11:37 AM

Just Finished My First Quilt Challenge.

2 Attachment(s)
This Table topper had to have at least three stars and be 24X24 at the largest and be quilted. This is my first real quilt. I made one 20 years ago for my cousins wedding. It was a photo quilt and turned out very nice but I told mom I never needed to make another quilt. LOL

My second quilt was last year for dh. He wanted a quilt of cut up plaid shirts with a 5 inch binding of heavy denim. I said I could do that!;) Well long story short we finally got it finished and does look great and is so soft and warm but I do not like the heavy binding but he loves it.

I had a friend that inspired with me bags and bags of scrap fabric. Go make a quilt she says. So I went through all of those bags and kept the strips and squares ( no triangles!!) and because she lives 3.5 hours away I decided to join the local quilt guild for help and inspiration and to be with like minded people. I think it is a rather large guild because we have 172 members or more. Every sew in has about 60 women there. I have a blog where I am talking about this whole process along with bits and pieces of my personal life.

I majored in art in college so I love color and funky chic combined with victorian touches. I think you can tell that from my blog posts.

When they issued a Dec STAR quilt challenge I wanted to give making another quilt a try. I already knew I was going to make my own stars. Only needed three to meet the challenge. I saw a quilt titled Funky Flowers ( shout out for Linda Dease Smith) I think her name is....It was love at first sight. My kind of quilt and exactly what I had in my mind to do.

So I made one of my own putting my own twists and turns into it. I also had a brand new computerized Juki that I needed to learn and so this quilt is a culmination of learning many different things. The quilt turned out how I envisioned it and the concept was/is very good but the execution needs much more quilting time.:eek: The Guild Christmas party is tonight and I am so excited. There are so many excellent quilters there I hope they don't pick it apart too badly...LOL
Thanks for listening, gotta run, have to make pot luck for tonight!!!!

Lorraine

busy fingers 12-14-2015 11:40 AM

It looks you "rose" to the challenge.

Could you please show us a picture showing the whole piece?

Sunflowerzz 12-14-2015 12:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sure , Here you go....it is 24 by 24. I sewed the binding on this morning and now I am making the label.

Looks like I could have fit one more leaf on the middle flower....
:o Oh well, next time. I can't imagine how I will feel looking at it in 5 years from now!

Cari-in-Oly 12-14-2015 12:38 PM

I love it! Don't change your style as you learn more of the "right" ways of quilting. You are doing fantastic work.

Cari

Sunflowerzz 12-14-2015 12:42 PM

Oh my gosh, thank you so much. I appreciate those kind and encouraging words. I am kinda scared to bring it tonight because I have seen what the other quilters make. I guess every newbie feels this way??....

QUILTNMO 12-14-2015 01:29 PM

very pretty nice work!!!

Sunflowerzz 12-14-2015 01:45 PM

Thanks for the compliment. :) I didn't know I couldn't refer to my blog in my post. So I got moved here to Pictures. Sorry peeps. Guess I should read the rules again. LOL

Leslie333 12-14-2015 01:52 PM

I love your quilt! Most first quilts pale in comparison, mine included! You have a great eye for color and design. I love how it is fun and colorful.

Sunflowerzz 12-14-2015 02:58 PM

Thank you so much. Everyone says to keep the first quilt so you can see how much you grow over the years. I have a hot glass studio and I kept the first beads I made with my first bead making class, they weren't too bad but not that great either!:)

joym 12-14-2015 03:01 PM

Awesome modern quilt....I love it!