Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   How I FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/how-i-fmq-t274663.html)

spartan quilter 01-18-2016 09:07 AM

How I FMQ

2 Attachment(s)
I am not talented enough to attempt FMQ with my domestic machine, so I have found a crutch that works for me. First I tried buying patterns and using the pounce method with chalk. The chalk rubbed off too quickly and the chalk presented a dry cloth that the needle did not want to go thru. So I now print off patterns on computer on tissue paper, pin it in place, and generally only do borders. It is probably a few more steps than needed, but I have some visual problems and this works for me. Just sharing for anyone who struggles with FMQ [ATTACH=CONFIG]540504[/ATTACH]

and here is is what it looks like with paper removed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540505[/ATTACH]

cjsews 01-18-2016 09:17 AM

That's a great idea. Nice work

ShirlinAZ 01-18-2016 09:19 AM

I like your idea, but sewing through the paper didn't work for me. I print the design and post it on the wall in front of my machine so I can look up at it any time. It really helps keep me on track. Pinning probably works better for border designs where scale is more critical, but I mostly do free motion pantograph style.

p.s. I like your attic windows.

Monale 01-18-2016 09:23 AM

I have struggled with getting more complex patterns marked before quilting, so this sounds very interesting. However, I might have a problem with the English language... What kind of paper is that exactly? What I would call "tissue paper" is what I use to blow my nose, so I don't think that should work... (and it doesn't look like what you show in the picture). "Tissue paper" seems to be something else in North America... Can anyone help me out here? :o

spartan quilter 01-18-2016 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Monale (Post 7437435)
I have struggled with getting more complex patterns marked before quilting, so this sounds very interesting. However, I might have a problem with the English language... What kind of paper is that exactly? What I would call "tissue paper" is what I use to blow my nose, so I don't think that should work... (and it doesn't look like what you show in the picture). "Tissue paper" seems to be something else in North America... Can anyone help me out here? :o

you are right, tissue paper is what you blow your nose with. What I should have said is Tracing paper and I get it at a business supply store. Hope that clarifies it for you. Sorry about that

quiltsRfun 01-18-2016 09:50 AM

I think it's a great idea. One of my biggest problems with FMQ is where do I go next.

twinkie 01-18-2016 11:18 AM

Tissue paper is also the "stuffing paper or wrapping paper you use on gifts. I always use Tissue Paper in gift bags to "cover" the gift. The trouble with the English language is that there are too many meanings for the same word. Gets confusing. However I love your idea as I am FMQ challenged. LOL

busy fingers 01-18-2016 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 7437459)
I think it's a great idea. One of my biggest problems with FMQ is where do I go next.

Me too. I get into a corner and "then what". I have to make my design smaller to get back or I have to travel in a straight line to get out of the spot and somehow the design that I "see" in my mind becomes distorted.

Sharonquilts 01-18-2016 11:49 AM

What a neat idea!

DresiArnaz 01-18-2016 11:56 AM

I'm a noob at FMQ. When I did my last quilt, I just sort of followed the print or did wavy lines to oppose stripes, leaf veins, loops and whirls and lots of stippling if I couldn't figure out what to do next. I went piece by piece and as I progressed I started to venture out on two or three pieces at a time doing kind of a flowery petal fan thing.

Stencils are great if FMQ is intimidating though, especially for borders and bare spots where blocks meet.