Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever cut yourself on an Accuquilt die? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-cut-yourself-accuquilt-die-t275266.html)

AngelinaMaria 02-01-2016 01:37 PM

Have you ever cut yourself on an Accuquilt die?

I've had the bad luck of two of my Accuquilt strip dies (the log cabin and the 2 1/2 strip) have a portion of a blade pop up above the foam.

The blade is exposed just a small sliver but you can see and feel it. I'm still using the 2 1/2 strip die but being very careful. Does this happen and you just have to be careful not to swipe your hand across the exposed blade? I was able to exchange my log cabin die when it did this a while back because it did that the first time I used it. The blade popped up on my 2 1/2 die after using it a handful of times over the past 12 to 16 months or so.

Geri B 02-01-2016 02:34 PM

Oh, no I've never had that happen, but if it did I certainly would be on the phone with mfgr.....I would think it could be quite dangerous to use with exposed cutting edge. Let us know what your outcome is......
frankly, I never thought of that possibility, but now I will be watchful when I use the dies....

quiltingshorttimer 02-01-2016 09:26 PM

Not with my accuquilt, but have with an Ellis paper cutting machine used at the school I worked at--it does happen. Seems to be more likely with age of die. I'd suggest a paintbrush to use to swipe away the threads. thanks for pointing this out so I don't do it too.

DOTTYMO 02-01-2016 10:30 PM

Never thought this could happen. Will be taking extra care in the future.

quiltingcandy 02-01-2016 11:18 PM

I have cut myself with the die. When I first got my GO and was playing around with it, I picked up a die without thinking about it and my thumb was on a blade. And when you stop and think about it, they cut fabric by pressing the fabric onto the sharp blades. So now I store my dies with the paper they come with, some have the plastic sleeve they came in too.

On some of my dies you can see the blades and I don't run my hands over any of the dies because even though the foam is there it doesn't take much pressure to expose the blades. You should go on to their website and check out the FAQ's or write them and ask.

Weezy Rider 02-02-2016 03:42 AM

Both Sizzix and Accuquilt have tools to clean out the threads. Failing that, there are tools for use with the electric computerized diemakers like Silhouette and ScanNCut. Even a trolley needle might work. All will keep hands away from blades.

Another investment is a good set of tweezers that will grab the finest thread.

I used a Sizzix for paper for years and never saw the edge of the die. I could feel it with the cleaning tool, but it was still well below the foam. I tend to store dies flat and in the containers they came in. (Cat hair and foam are the pits)

Onebyone 02-02-2016 04:18 AM

I had one older die with a blade that some of it was peeking out of the foam. I took a big eraser and pushed it down. I've reglued a lot of my older dies back into the housing when they get loose. Most of my dies I use a lot are over 10 years old.

Geri B 02-02-2016 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7453441)
I had one older die with a blade that some of it was peeking out of the foam. I took a big eraser and pushed it down. I've reglued a lot of my older dies back into the housing when they get loose. Most of my dies I use a lot are over 10 years old.

so, like you say about appliances...well used/replace after 10 yrs? I'm going to have to check on mine too. Good idea using the eraser to push down...did you re glue the foam back down?

Onebyone 02-02-2016 05:42 AM

so, like you say about appliances...well used/replace after 10 yrs? I'm going to have to check on mine too. Good idea using the eraser to push down...did you re glue the foam back down?
Yes, I have brand new ones to replace the older used ones but I thought may as well see if the dies could be fixed. The blade and foam are all one piece on a thin piece of wood that fits in the bottom of the green base. I used Elmer's All Purpose glue to reset. I cut the foam from around one square die shape, and DH honed the blade, it cuts six layers like butter, no foam needed. I put paper over the die blades to hold the fabric. I wouldn't do that to save a die, just wanted to see what would happen and how it all works. The blade razor edges are thin so handle and store the dies carefully. DH took my Go apart. It's all metal inside the working parts. Very well made. He replaced the bearings as my Go was one of the first one shipped and has thousands of turns of the rollers over the years. Works like brand new.

The new dies have two toned foam and the new strip dies have the angle lines drawn. I like the new ones.

willferg 02-02-2016 09:28 AM

Yep, it happened to me, although it was totally my fault. I had been given some dies for the Studio, and I slipped my hand between them and lifted up the one on top, not realizing about the blades, and the weight of the die caused the blade to slice right into the back of my hand. I almost needed stitches. It put me off the whole device for awhile, but I finally got back in the saddle, although I am a whole lot more careful now.