Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Never assume... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/never-assume-t275442.html)

mamagrande 02-05-2016 09:43 PM

Never assume...

Never assume that the backing the your clients bring for LA quilting is wide and long enough. But i just did. I had done several for the same lady and she always allows about 6 inches all around so I just pinned it on. Since it is a very thin sheet I had extra nine inches on each side. The quilt is square 93 x 93 so if figured it is not matter which way it went. Wrong. I come near the end and oops there is not enough backing..

Took quilt off the frame and trimmed the sides to add to the bottom. I need to piece the sides strips to complete the quilt. I don't mind this on one that is heavy quilted and printed, you don't notice the additions very much but this is solid black with gold quilting..:(

So, note to self, measure, measure and measure.

DOTTYMO 02-05-2016 10:50 PM

Oops. Good job you are able to trim and patch, but very frustrating.

ManiacQuilter2 02-06-2016 10:15 AM

I had a client that gave me the backing that was exactly the dimension of her quilt. It took me twice as long to pin baste the quilt and the extra time was billed on her invoice.

quiltingshorttimer 02-06-2016 06:51 PM

Feeling your pain--I just did a charity quilt for a friend and she was ok with me piecing bat to use--I mismeasured and ended up about 4 in. short of bat! so I was whipstitching some extra bat at the bottom while it was on the frame--duh!

jmoore 02-07-2016 03:51 AM

that must have been a surprise... and a bummer as well. Thank goodness you are able to solve the problem. Since I typically do my own quilts, I have gotten in the habit of labeling my backing (length, width and top) so when I go to load it on the machine I don't have to second guess ...

quilterpurpledog 02-07-2016 05:15 AM

As the saying goes-leave nothing to chance! Measure, measure, measure again.

GingerK 02-07-2016 06:25 AM

The last time I sent a quilt to a LA'er I pinned slips to the top, the batting and the backing, giving measurements as exact as I could take them, with arrows showing width and length. She commented afterwards that it was a great help and time saver when she loaded it.

Nathan's Mimi 02-07-2016 06:34 AM

this happened to me as well with a quilt I was quilting for a friend for Christmas.Horrors of horrors when you get to that point when you realize it isnt long enough. Glad it worked out for you

AZ Jane 02-07-2016 07:45 AM

6 inches on each side?

matraina 02-07-2016 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by mamagrande (Post 7457363)
Never assume that the backing the your clients bring for LA quilting is wide and long enough. But i just did. I had done several for the same lady and she always allows about 6 inches all around so I just pinned it on. Since it is a very thin sheet I had extra nine inches on each side. The quilt is square 93 x 93 so if figured it is not matter which way it went. Wrong. I come near the end and oops there is not enough backing..

Took quilt off the frame and trimmed the sides to add to the bottom. I need to piece the sides strips to complete the quilt. I don't mind this on one that is heavy quilted and printed, you don't notice the additions very much but this is solid black with gold quilting..:(

So, note to self, measure, measure and measure.

Don't take offense but I was often told if you assume something, you make an ass out of "u" and an ass out of "me". I thought that was kind of clever. Doesn't mean I always follow that. Ha!