Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Invisible thread use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/invisible-thread-use-t275660.html)

Judiw 02-12-2016 01:59 PM

Invisible thread use

I am having difficulty with the bobbin thread showing on top. I have a 50wt thread in the bobbin. I was told not to use the invisible thread in the bobbin....any help out there? Need information on Brand, tension and tips for a 6600.

Geri B 02-12-2016 02:19 PM

Loosen your top thread tension.....it's too tight and is pulling up the bobbin thread.....

Lilrain 02-12-2016 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7463580)
Loosen your top thread tension.....it's too tight and is pulling up the bobbin thread.....

And you may need to check the tension every so often, as the machine tends to adjust itself , you might say, while using invisible thread. I do prefer the polyester, rather than nylon

Prism99 02-12-2016 04:27 PM

Definitely loosen the top tension.

slbram17 02-12-2016 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Judiw (Post 7463568)
I am having difficulty with the bobbin thread showing on top. I have a 50wt thread in the bobbin. I was told not to use the invisible thread in the bobbin....any help out there? Need information on Brand, tension and tips for a 6600.

I like the Monopoly monofilament polyester thread best but I use the nylon (.004) at times. All brands including Sulky and YLI. I don't usually change tension but sometimes a spool acts up, and I will have to keep an eye on it. It wants to catch in the tension guides, not all the time though. I use the clear threads a lot but they can be finicky.

LilaKay 02-13-2016 04:53 AM

We recently had a quilt instructor come to our guild that only uses invisible thread in her bobbin so I tried winding the bobbin with Monopoly thread-got it from Superior Threads-and machine quilted a wall hanging. It worked great and will use it again. I have a Janome 11000se and did not even need to adjust the tensions!

kathy 02-13-2016 05:01 AM

when winding a bobbin with the "clear" threads you need to slow it down if possible or do it in small increments. I've busted more than one bobbin before I learned how to do it.

ManiacQuilter2 02-13-2016 06:33 AM

In my opinion, I don't use clear on quilts that will be washed. I use the same thread on the top as on the bottom if you are FMQ. Invisible thread is OK on a wall hanging since they are seldom washed.

slbram17 02-13-2016 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by LilaKay (Post 7464051)
We recently had a quilt instructor come to our guild that only uses invisible thread in her bobbin so I tried winding the bobbin with Monopoly thread-got it from Superior Threads-and machine quilted a wall hanging. It worked great and will use it again. I have a Janome 11000se and did not even need to adjust the tensions!

I have never tried the Monopoly in the bobbin. Nice to know it worked for you. I use the clear for the quilting on all the quilts I make, with the bobbin filled with white thread.

Hulalulu 02-13-2016 10:50 AM

In my ignorance, wound a bobbin with invisible thread -- and then the bobbin would not come off the winder peg. Took the machine in thinking it was the machine's fault! It had created a tension of it's own, and squeezed it too tight to remove.... After hours of unwinding the bobbin was free, free at last!