Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Juki machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/juki-machines-t276926.html)

redstilettos 03-21-2016 04:13 AM

Juki machines

Do any of you have Juki machines?

I am looking at either a Juki 2010 or a TL2000QI along with frame.

Any thoughts on either of these?

Please keep in mind I'm a longarm virgin, and this is a beginner machine for me.

Thanks!

Patricia Drew 03-21-2016 04:47 AM

I have had a TL2010Q as a sit-down machine for two years. I love that machine. I had never done any FMQ before buying that machine. I was a bit apprehensive, but that machine is so user-friendly, that after a bit of practice, I was doing very nice FMQ, if I say so myself ... and I am a bit of a perfectionist! I have done quilts up to 80 inches wide so far. I have heard that some quilters have even done king-size quilts on this machine. I also do piecing on it. I have used several different threads on it, even 12 wt. I highly recommend this machine. Another plus: the pricing is very reasonable for the quality you get.

ManiacQuilter2 03-21-2016 04:54 AM

As a virgin, you need to form a close relationship with whomever you should purchase the machine from. You will need support and classes to get off the ground. I personally am not impressed with the sit down machine because you are spending a lot of money for a machine that does only FMQ. If I was to make the investment, I would want to also be able to use pantographs.

Shelbie 03-21-2016 05:03 AM

The Juki TL2010Q is not just for FM. It's a regular high speed heavy duty straight stitch machine with a rectangular harp space so many quilters have used them on a mid arm set up. They stitch beautifully but need to be oiled regularly as they are a mechanical machine. I have mine on a old Superquilter frame and it stitches just fine. It's the frame that is limiting my quilt size(can only handle up to about 70") not the machine.

Feathers-N-Fur 03-21-2016 05:47 AM

A 9 inch harp is very frustrating to me on a frame. I packed up the frame and just fmq on a table. I am waiting for my 18" Tin Lizzie to arrive now to use my frame again. My advice is if you want to use an quilting frame, save a little longer for a bigger machine. My Tin Lizzie is only $3300 with stitch regulation. You can get a 13" Bailey's (BHQ) for $1450, plus $650 if you want a stitch regulator. The Juki is a great fmq machine, but the frame only allows you 3-4" of work space on it with that small of a machine.

sewbizgirl 03-21-2016 05:54 AM

I have a Juki TL2010Q and I echo what Feathers-N-Fur said.... It's not a longarm machine and would not be the best thing to get to use with a frame. It IS, however, fantastic as an FMQ machine all by itself. It's affordable and does fabulous quilting. I love mine.

Jingle 03-21-2016 06:20 AM

I love my Juki TL98QE. Had a plastic table made for it. I FMQ, and piece on it.

redstilettos 03-21-2016 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur (Post 7500242)
A 9 inch harp is very frustrating to me on a frame. I packed up the frame and just fmq on a table. I am waiting for my 18" Tin Lizzie to arrive now to use my frame again. My advice is if you want to use an quilting frame, save a little longer for a bigger machine. My Tin Lizzie is only $3300 with stitch regulation. You can get a 13" Bailey's (BHQ) for $1450, plus $650 if you want a stitch regulator. The Juki is a great fmq machine, but the frame only allows you 3-4" of work space on it with that small of a machine.

You only get 3" of working space with a 9" throat?

feline fanatic 03-21-2016 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by redstilettos (Post 7500654)
You only get 3" of working space with a 9" throat?

Remember, your take up roller and the growing quilt sandwich that accumulates on said take up roller is taking up a lot of space in the throat. Hmm, I wonder if that is how the take up roller got its name because it takes up so much space? :D

Feathers-N-Fur 03-21-2016 12:55 PM

Yes, because the quilt is rolled up on a pole inside the harp of the machine when you are quilting on a machine quilting frame. It can be even less if you use high loft batting or don't roll tightly.