Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-would-you-do-t278307.html)

Roberta 05-03-2016 04:58 AM

What would you do?

My DIL called me and wants to make curtains for the new apartment they are moving into this month. She has I believe 10 + windows that are 84 inches long. She thought buying one bolt of material would make drapes for all these windows but I'm trying to explain that it has always cost me more to make drapes/curtains then to buy them. I do make valances and use about 5 yards for each one to get a nicely gathered look.

What would you advise, should she make these or go on a search for the least expensive drapes she can buy, perhaps just a sheer panel and then make drapes one at a time as they get settled in?

ManiacQuilter2 05-03-2016 05:03 AM

I helped a friend of mine look for some simple drapes. There are not that many stores that sell drapes anymore. I would inform her that it will cost more in the long run and to look online at BB&B.

Jane Quilter 05-03-2016 05:17 AM

I wouldn't make expensive drapes for an apartment that I don't own and will eventually move out of. The drapes wont fit the next place. Maybe make a few simple curtains or valances.

sandybeach 05-03-2016 05:30 AM

I agree that it will now cost more to make than to buy. I used to make all my drapes, but not any more. Try Marshalls if you have one or Ross or TJ Maxx.

bearisgray 05-03-2016 05:39 AM

If you can - get dimensions of windows - then do the math - and (try to) explain it to DIL -
Plus a little something for your labor if they can afford it!

I made some muslin drapes for our living room (the natural color) and they have done the job - but they are definitely on the "casual" looking side.

Geri B 05-03-2016 05:42 AM

Buying a bolt of fabric for all the windows......means every window in every room will be the same? Shopping day....even try resale shops, if any in your locale...I've seen some lovely custom made window coverings in ones near me.....actually bought one.

elnan 05-03-2016 05:47 AM

Do JC Penney's and Sears still put out the big catalogs? It may be worth it to stop in at one of the stores and ask for a copy, then take her time making decisions on window coverings. The hardware alone for hanging drapes is expensive. Until this house, I always made cafe curtains from sheets, patterned or white, but this house already had the hardware and large windows, so I ordered drapes from the catalog. She may also want to consider washable versus dry clean only.

Sewnoma 05-03-2016 06:09 AM

IKEA has some pretty good inexpensive curtains too. A lot of theirs come extra-long, with a strip of heat fusible so you can just trim them to the right length and do a simple folded hem with an iron and the fusible. We have a lot of IKEA curtains in our house - WAY cheaper than sewing my own! (Though I went ahead and sewed the bottom hems on mine.)

Tartan 05-03-2016 06:52 AM

Drapes are not my favourite thing to do. I suggest she figure out the yardage required, take that yardage to a fabric store and see just how high the price will be for just the fabric. I think she will change her mind pretty quickly.

starshine 05-03-2016 07:04 AM

when we moved into an apt with sliding door to a terrace that was very wide and I think was 84" long I didn't want to invest a lot into something that I didn't know if I would need when we moved out, unsure of length of time we would be there. I bought plain color queen size, flat sheet(s-don't remember if it was 2 or 3) and drapery tape with little pockets the prongs of drapery hooks fit into, sewed it to the bottom side of sheet, and left the top hem side for the bottom of the drape/curtain. The apt already had a drapery rod. (If it had curtain rods I would have just made a curtain). We were there for a year and 4 months before husband was transferred. After which I took the drapery tape off and used them for top sheets on the bed.