Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   using scraps for dog beds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/using-scraps-dog-beds-t278459.html)

Dina 05-08-2016 10:57 AM

using scraps for dog beds

I have just sorted through my scraps and am planning on making dog beds. Can anyone tell me what size to make these? I have tried to research and am just confused. I want to make something simple for our local animal shelter.

What size would you recommend?

Thanks.

Dina

Jcarpentier 05-08-2016 11:06 AM

Not sure but maybe different sizes as dogs are different sizes. I don't know if you could make it a medium size and make larger if they request it? This is surely not an easy answer and I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

Dina 05-08-2016 11:39 AM

Okay, I found a good location on the internet. It told me 3 sizes....each was WOF....18" x WOF, 24" by WOF, and 36 " by WOF. So, I am using those measurements. Guess I should have kept looking instead of trying to take the lazy way out. :)

Dina

AliKat 05-08-2016 12:08 PM

Each place has different sizes. The one I take mine to isn't picky on size but strongly prefer them not to be too thick so they dry easier after being washed. I cut my fabric into small pieces for the same reason and do NOT include thread waste. Remember the animals come in all different sizes so relax on the size.
Hint: one upholstry place sold me older style material for less than $1/yd once he found out what I wanted. I bought almost the whole roll. A real win-win-win.

ManiacQuilter2 05-08-2016 12:59 PM

I am making some. I found that I use a little scraps mix onto a fat poly batting, roll it up line a jelly roll and stuff it into a channel. If you fill it up with just scraps, they become too heavy to wash.

lynnie 05-08-2016 07:10 PM

call the shelter and ask them

Mariposa 05-08-2016 07:21 PM

Do call the shelters and ask if there are an restrictions, or requests. :)

tranum 05-08-2016 08:08 PM

Our church sewing group made and donated about a dozen pet beds last year. All sizes, larger to smaller. We also covered old bed pillows with cheap fleece blankets for the animal shelter. I made a bed for GS's dog from scraps I had at home. Dog loved it and GS was impressed with it. He always put it up when he left the house - except one day he forgot - and came home to a giant mess !! He doesn't want another one ! I've since learned the charity that accepts gently used furniture for needy people here in town gladly takes bed pillows, even if slightly stained. I include a homemade pillowcase.

Jane Quilter 05-09-2016 01:14 AM

i agree with lynnie, call the shelter.

ckcowl 05-09-2016 02:07 AM

Call your local shelter and ask them what size they would like. Our shelter has very specific size/material ( rules) about what they accept. They don't accept ones filled with scraps, they take too long to dry and make a mess when a ( chewer) tears one apart. We make kennel quilts with batting and quilting for them. I know some places do accept scrap filled ones but you should check first.