Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A call to all quilters! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/call-all-quilters-t278471.html)

Bernina94 05-08-2016 09:15 PM

A call to all quilters!

Hello Everyone!
I hope this message finds you well. I am a student at Vassar College writing a research paper for my Art and Activism class that centers the "Exquisite Intimacy" of Quilting. My research seeks to examine quilting communities of the digital age and the role of online forums and sites in facilitating the building of communities - especially for quilters who for various reasons may not have access to the in-person quilting experience. I am also looking into the many ways in which technology is being employed in quilting - like computer generated quilting blocks, the influence of instagram on the instant exchange of imagery and design. Here are a few questions that I would love to hear your thoughts on:

• Where are you from geographically? Do you live in a small town, suburbs, or a city?
  • What is your age/ gender/profession/ marital status?
  • How long have you been quilting?
  • How long have you engaged in online quilting communities and resources? And why did you first join?
  • What other means of communication do you use to stay in touch with others quilters and the quilting community at large?
  • Do you have access to in-person quilting communities and classes near you?
  • What have been the social benefits of being involved in an online quilting forum?
  • Do you feel that your presence here has influenced the quality/artistry of your quilting? If so, how?
  • Would you consider yourself very active in social media outside of quilting oriented sites? To what extent would you say that you are technologically savvy?
  • How much time do you dedicate to quilting and crafting per week?
  • What is your opinion of computer generated quilting patterns and resources?

Sheri.a 05-08-2016 09:30 PM

Bernina94, I wish you luck. what does exquisite intimacy mean to you? Do you quilt or sew and for how long?

Please tell us more about yourself.

DOTTYMO 05-08-2016 10:24 PM

Quick answers to questions.
- I live in a small village one pub no shop.
- single retired
- 10 years
- 8 years joined to have a broader knowledge of quilting over the world.
- other sites and blog spots.
- yes one weekly day quilting as well as others within a 30 mile radius.
- meeting, discussing and seeing quilting from around the world.
- I use Facebook Instagram and blog sites connected to quilting usually.more technically savvy than I use.
- just sewing, quilting etc 40 hours plus. Looking in books for patterns 7 hours. On the computer 14 hours.
- I didn't know the computer generated the patterns I thought they were designed by exceptionally clever people who downloaded them to the Internet.

Jane Quilter 05-09-2016 12:00 AM

Please explain the "Exquisite Intimacy" of Quilting .

gingerd 05-09-2016 02:39 AM

Where are you from geographically? Do you live in a small town, suburbs, or a city? I am in a suburb in NE IL.

What is your age/ gender/profession/ marital status? I'm a female married Elementary teacher in my 50's.

How long have you been quilting? I started quilting in the late 80's and have picked it up again back in 2011.

How long have you engaged in online quilting communities and resources? And why did you first join? I started with the online communities when I was looking to upgrade my sewing machine.

What other means of communication do you use to stay in touch with others quilters and the quilting community at large? I have a couple of quilt stores that I frequent. They have fabulous people that help!

Do you have access to in-person quilting communities and classes near you? Classes, there are a few, but working full time doesn't enable me to take some of them.

What have been the social benefits of being involved in an online quilting forum? The knowledge and willingness of others to share is just wonderful. If I have a question about fabric or equipment someone will have an answer.

Do you feel that your presence here has influenced the quality/artistry of your quilting? If so, how? It has given me lots of ideas of what I'd like to make in the future.

Would you consider yourself very active in social media outside of quilting oriented sites? To what extent would you say that you are technologically savvy? I don't use a lot of social media.

How much time do you dedicate to quilting and crafting per week? Weekends and then summers when I'm off I will do more.

What is your opinion of computer generated quilting patterns and resources? I love the computer resources. I love that if I find a pattern and it is offered as a PDF I can purchase/download right away.

ManiacQuilter2 05-09-2016 04:26 AM

Wow, that is a lot of questions to answer. I don't understand some of your questions and I have 3 college degrees. I seldom took classes in the 30 years I have been quilting. I never really like quilt guild because of clicks. I do belong to a church group that makes items for charity that meets twice a month. I am almost 64 and not into any social media such as Facebook. I do share what I am doing with friends. Being disable, I do get by with a little help from my friends. Computers are not designing patterns. I LOVE my EQ7 program for resizing quilt patterns. I use to run main frame computers but PCs I found were very different. Most quilt patterns have been established from years past except for the modern ones. I do get inspiration here of seeing patterns that would work for charity quilts. I have formed close friendship with many members of the board.

Mimi Sews 05-09-2016 04:33 AM

That's some very interesting research. What made you choose Quilting for your topic? I'm also curious about your term: "Exquisite Intimacy".

• Where are you from geographically? Do you live in a small town, suburbs, or a city? Small town in Alaska
  • What is your age/ gender/profession/ marital status? Married, female, age 50, educator
  • How long have you been quilting? 10 years
  • How long have you engaged in online quilting communities and resources? And why did you first join? About 8 years. Joined to connect with other quilters
  • What other means of communication do you use to stay in touch with others quilters and the quilting community at large? Most communication is online. Forums, blogs and Facebook
  • Do you have access to in-person quilting communities and classes near you? Yes, several
  • What have been the social benefits of being involved in an online quilting forum? Guidance, friendship, shared interest
  • Do you feel that your presence here has influenced the quality/artistry of your quilting? If so, how? Yes, I feel compelled to challenge myself after viewing other's workmanship.
  • Would you consider yourself very active in social media outside of quilting oriented sites? To what extent would you say that you are technologically savvy? Yes, very active and I am very technologically savvy.
  • How much time do you dedicate to quilting and crafting per week? About 10 hours
  • What is your opinion of computer generated quilting patterns and resources? I frequently use EQ7 software to design and I love it.

Freckles48 05-09-2016 04:54 AM

-FRom CAnada, small town
-65-70y.o./F/retired nurse/single
-15 years
-5 years, recommendation of a friend
-Facebook pages for local and provincial groups
-meet every 2 weeks with one group(about 35-40members) and once a month with another (10)
-Information and recipes
-I have got tips and ideas for quilts I want to do and some I would not do in a month of Sundays!
-I am technologically adept but have chosen not to involve myself in Twitter or texting. I do not spend a huge amount of time online on Facebook.
-7-10 hours
-I am doing one that was from a website now. It is a challenge to say the least but also, I suspect will be more so when I go to put the whole together as I am already facing some difficulties in size and length.

Good luck with your papers from one who has been there-done that!

Tartan 05-09-2016 05:24 AM

1. Canada 2. Female/married 3. 35 yrs. approx. 4. 5 yrs. 5. Facebook/ Pinterest/email 6.yes 7. Inspiration 8.yes, inspires me to sew faster to get to all the patterns I want to do. 9. No not tech savvy 10. 10 hrs approx. 11. Not tech savvy so I don't use them.

Jordan 05-09-2016 05:25 AM

I am from a small college town in northern Arizona.
Retired from working in public schools as medical asst./married.
Been quilting since late 80's
I first joined the quilting community when my best friend and I took a sampler class at a local quilt shop and went for 4 Saturdays.
Not many classes offered that I am interested in from our only quilt shop in town.
I have met about 6 ladies that I meet with once a week and we sew or do crafts of our own but it is my social time since I have 3 granddaughters that live with me and I enjoy getting out to meet with other ladies that have the same interest.
Don't do social media but I do enjoy this quilting board and they are the best if I have a question or I am looking for some certain fabric or pattern.
I try and sew a couple of hours a day when the grandchildren head off to school.
I agree with Maniac about the joining of quilt guilds-they are too clickish.
Good luck on your research and hope you get alot of good feed back from these members.