Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Define "juvenile prints" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/define-juvenile-prints-t279487.html)

zozee 06-11-2016 12:44 PM

Define "juvenile prints"

I stopped into LQS because the juvenile prints are on sale. I wanted to buy soccer fabric for a first grade boy quilt, but when I asked if sports fabric is included, the owner's response made me feel like an idiot. "Sports? No. Juvenile is like, you know, baby prints, cars, trucks, monkeys?" I wanted to retort , "but a first grader is a juvenile and I wouldn't buy soccer fabric for a grown man." But, instead, I just said, "okay," and shopped for baby fabric. I think she killed a bigger sale by killing my enthusiasm with her tone.

So, please define "juvenile prints" and what you consider the age cutoff .

busy fingers 06-11-2016 12:52 PM

I would classify those mentioned above as "novelty fabrics" and as far as I am concerned there is no age limit where they should or should not be used.

I did a quilt for hubs and used many novelty fabrics to represent his interests such as trains, cars, cheese, wine, letters of the alphabet to represent his profession as a teacher, books, trees, basketballs etc.

I often find that it is the way things are said that can be very off putting.

I look forward to seeing the quilt that you end up making.

ptquilts 06-11-2016 01:47 PM

I would say, any print that would be inappropriate for a quilt for someone over five years old.

bearisgray 06-11-2016 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 7574600)
I would say, any print that would be inappropriate for a quilt for someone over five years old.

I'm inclined to agree with this.

"Novelty prints" is a much broader category.

I think of "sports prints" as those with a logo for some team.

zozee 06-11-2016 04:00 PM

The sports fabric I wanted was with other prints for kids (cars, trucks, monkeys) so in my mind they were "juvenile" although not "baby". So her response, after I got over the shock of how she snapped, didn't rule out my question. Maybe SHE was thinking sports as sports with a team logo, who knows. It was actually her husband and co-owner who asked her the question, so maybe she was snapping at him, but either way, I felt bad for him and was feeling small myself by standing there next to him when he approached her.

Later I asked her if she carried any outdoor fabric (I didn't think so, but ya never know what might be lurking in the shadows) . She asked what for and said a swing. Again, her question had a tone. "You want to cover a swing?" I had to explain it's a porch glider, upholstered, in bad shape cosmetically but not structurally. So yes, I wanted to cover the existing ratty old fabric with new. Maybe it's just her way, or she was in a foul mood, but her tone made me feel as if my questions were stupid.

CanoePam 06-11-2016 04:02 PM

Sounds like a good place to stay away from!

In fabrics "juvenile" means baby/toddler. Odd, but that seems pretty consistent.

Pam

Gay 06-11-2016 04:12 PM

I consider a juvenile as a child below the age of consent - pre-schoolers are tiny-tots or babies.
So sorry you had this experience, I would have left with nothing. Some people just have bad attitude.

Bree123 06-11-2016 04:54 PM

For fabrics, I consider "juvenile" anything that would fit a nursery or toddler's room. I agree with the others about soccer typically being a "novelty" print, but honestly it really just depends. USA Soccer would definitely be novelty. A cartoon panda bear kicking a soccer ball would fit, imho, in the juvenile section.

I have one of those LQS owners by me, too. The crazy thing is there are 4 other LQS'es within driving distance so I'm really not sure why the owner seems so determined to be rude to customers. I've gone in there a few times wanting to buy a whole bunch of fabric & left buying little to nothing because of how unpleasant my shopping experience was. She reminds me every time I stop in that in her opinion I should just give away my work to customers because "no one should ever charge people to make a quilt". And then on top of it all, they routinely spread misinformation. The last time I was in there only because it was right next to a friend's house. I wanted to buy muslin fabric & she tells me that only people who don't care about what their quilts look like use muslin (ummm????) and then suggests linen -- which I wasn't keen to agree to, so she tells me that linen is no different than cotton because they both come from the cotton plant. I checked to make sure it wasn't one of those linen-look cotton prints; it wasn't. It said right on the bolt 100% linen. How on earth does a quilt shop owner not know that linen comes from flax, not from cotton & they have very different properties?!!! I tried to explain to her that it wasn't the case, but she just got louder & more insistent. And then she was rude to my 70-year old mother who knows nothing about sewing & was just stopping in with me on our way to lunch -- so that was the final straw. I haven't been back there since!

wesing 06-11-2016 07:25 PM

I would think juvenile would mean anything a child (younger than a teen) would like. Soccer would certainly fit into that category for me. JMHO.

zozee 06-11-2016 08:00 PM

I've been to this shop several times and she has been pleasant about 80% of the time. In fact, she is really knowledgeable and a good teacher. I bought by Janome 8200 from her. I'm willing to chalk it up to ... I don't know...heat? Allergies? It was 96 degrees here and can irritate fair weather folks --and 2 of my family members had allergy headaches today. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. I just mainly wished she had come closer and more graciously interpreted "juvenile" for me and even shown me where they were.