Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   All cotton plaid shirt/fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/all-cotton-plaid-shirt-fabric-t279954.html)

lswan 06-27-2016 05:23 AM

All cotton plaid shirt/fabric?

Where would I find 100% cotton plaid shirts (used) to make a quilt? I have some fabric that was given to me and want to make a whole quilt. I haven't been able to do a successful google search and I am willing to take the shirts apart. Local goodwill has only poly cotton shirts. Does anyone sell just bundles of shirts or fabric?

Mariposa 06-27-2016 05:24 AM

Have you checked other thrift stores around your area? Also look at yard sales, etc. :)

Tartan 06-27-2016 06:53 AM

I would try the Salvation Army and Mennoite thrift stire in my area ( don't know if you have them where you are) Prices are cheaper if you can go on their fill a bag or colour tag day sales. I just check the shirt tags for 100% cotton. Check Bonnie Hunter's site for how to debone a shirt quickly. www.quiltville.blogspot.ca

Jeanne S 06-27-2016 07:04 AM

goodwill and Salvation Army Thrift shops, some of our local nonprofits and churches also have thrift stores. If you have the time garage sales can be fun too.

Havplenty 06-27-2016 07:04 AM

Check yard and estate sales. When I have went to these sales, I would usually buy the plaid shirts (at the best possible prices of course) and offer to members on this board. I will keep a look out for plaid shirts during my thrifting this summer. I can contact you if I am successful.

Jane Quilter 06-27-2016 07:06 AM

You got to read the tags. always. and go multiple times.

tessagin 06-27-2016 07:17 AM

Check the different sites for estate sales. Register so they can let you know when that type of clothing might be available. If they offer you a preview, be kind and don't haggle the price too much. That's how I got on to a lot of fabric. Check your newspaper for estate sales especially if they offer winter outdoor activities for the clothing. Go to their sales so they get to know you. I have always found something even trivial to purchase. It makes for good relations. Here in our area most sales start on Thursdays. Usually, one needs to be at the door around 630-700 a.m. even if it says no early birds. Just sit and eat your to go breakfast sandwich til they open the doors. But get on some of the websites and register. Many have photos.

PaperPrincess 06-27-2016 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7587820)
You got to read the tags. always. and go multiple times.

I agree with this. Every one is amazed at the things I get at thrift stores. What they don't realize is that 80% of the times I go, I leave empty handed. You need to have patience and go repeatedly!
The other places to look are estate and yard sales.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 06-27-2016 10:25 AM

I have reasonably good luck at yard sales but you have to dig, dig, dig and read the tags. They are out there but I usually only find a few at a time.

romanojg 06-28-2016 05:58 AM

I agree, thrift stores, etc. The fabric is called shirting