Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you carry your notions in? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-carry-your-notions-t280202.html)

Kristin476 07-05-2016 01:35 PM

What do you carry your notions in?

I'm going to my first quilting class tonight (eek - I'm nervous!) and I don't have any sort of tote for my rotary cutter, scissors, pins, etc. I saw a couple of cool things on Craftsy but they were sold out. I also found a few things on Amazon but not really sure I liked them so much.

What do you all use when you travel or take classes? Do you have a special tote? Or use a small plastic bin type thing?

mike'sgirl 07-05-2016 01:43 PM

One of the ladies in my guild was toting her things in one of the cute little suitcases that are made of cardboard with pretty paper that you see everywhere. It had the old-fashioned straps and metal closure. She got it at Tuesday Morning, but I have seen them at Jo Ann's too.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 07-05-2016 01:54 PM

All the itty bitties like thimble sm scissors needles etc. I put into my hard back glass cases. Pins get their own. These lay open flat on the table and are easily accessible.

QuiltnNan 07-05-2016 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i made this to keep my notions in
[ATTACH=CONFIG]553443[/ATTACH]
it has a pocket closed with velcro inside where i keep my silk thread for hand sewing

katier825 07-05-2016 02:25 PM

Little plastic bins are great...check the fishing aisle/tackle boxes. They are usually cheaper and made by the same company as the ones in the crafts sections of the stores.

PaperPrincess 07-05-2016 02:25 PM

I used a plastic bin thing for my first couple of classes. After that I knew what I wanted to carry back & forth and made a tote that would accommodate my needs. There are tons of patterns out there for quilting notions, but it's nice to know what will work for you before making one.
Just label everything you bring, including your machine, foot pedal and any power cords!

Kristin476 07-05-2016 02:37 PM

Thank you all for your replies! You all had great ideas. I guess I'll wait to see what I'll carry around with me and see what will work best for me. Until then, my little strawberry themed basket will have to work ;)

tessagin 07-05-2016 02:43 PM

Walmart has a tool box in the craft dept for 9.99. Looks like a tackle box. I got my niece one and she likes that she can keep her shears/scissors and other notions in it. Lot of patterns on YouTube for totes free and many you can download. When you have time you can lay the notions out and create your own. It's fun to just look and see what you think will work for you.

tessagin 07-05-2016 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kristin476 (Post 7594804)
Thank you all for your replies! You all had great ideas. I guess I'll wait to see what I'll carry around with me and see what will work best for me. Until then, my little strawberry themed basket will have to work ;)

Zip locs work in a pinch too!

Dolphyngyrl 07-05-2016 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bionic gear bag is what I use currently