Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Michael's Has Purchased Hancock's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/michaels-has-purchased-hancocks-t281096.html)

SewingSew 08-06-2016 08:01 AM

Michael's Has Purchased Hancock's

I received an email about this yesterday. As part of the acquisition, Michaels also has the rights to Hancock Fabric's mailing list. Legally, I have 10 days from the notification to opt out if I choose. Just thought I'd pass along this info to you girls and guys.

gram2five 08-06-2016 08:26 AM

I received the email also. Really glad to hear the news that Michaels is the one that purchased Hancock's. I always preferred them over Joannes.

dunster 08-06-2016 10:20 AM

I received this notice also. It's only the online part of Hancock's business that is being purchased by Michael's.

crafty pat 08-06-2016 10:30 AM

I received the same message and I am so happy that Michaels will be carrying fabric. Michaels is just a few stores down from Hobby Lobby so I can shop for fabric in both stores the same shopping trip.

willferg 08-06-2016 10:31 AM

Around me, Michaels has very limited fabric in the store, but they offer more online. Presumably after taking over Hancocks, they will be able to offer even more online, although it remains to be seen if they will offer more in the stores...

SewingSew 08-06-2016 10:45 AM

If Michaels did decide to carry fabric in their store, it would be a very wise move on their part. It would increase foot traffic and add to thei sales of other items. They could become a lot more competitive that way.

Geri B 08-07-2016 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by SewingSew (Post 7620638)
If Michaels did decide to carry fabric in their store, it would be a very wise move on their part. It would increase foot traffic and add to thei sales of other items. They could become a lot more competitive that way.

one can only hope....

romanojg 08-07-2016 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by gram2five (Post 7620572)
I received the email also. Really glad to hear the news that Michaels is the one that purchased Hancock's. I always preferred them over Joannes.

Me too, I could find things easier at Hancock's. I knew each month when it was either senior citizens or military discount day. I'm just getting into making clothing again after over 20 yrs and went to Joann's yesterday and everything is so packed together its hard to tell what is what. If Michael's is like Hancock's was, I'll be very happy. We have little resources in this area for clothing fabric, mostly quilting fabric is found.

sash 08-07-2016 07:51 AM

Our Michael's doesn't carry any fabrics since they built new store many, many years ago and it is a smallish store. Would be nice if they carried fabric in their store, I would probably go there more and more.

Kelela 08-07-2016 10:45 AM

I was sorry to hear some time ago this year that Hancock's was closing all their stores. It did not really surprise me as the store in our city, although a large store, was always disorganized, dirty, and many quilting notions were often out of stock. One example...Olfa 45 mm cutting blades were out of stock for at least 8 months. I know because I visited the store almost weekly for these. Of course I went to my local quilt shop and purchased replacements but Hancock's was usually cheaper. Kelela