Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Old (but still loved) Cross-Stitch As Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-but-still-loved-cross-stitch-quilt-t281345.html)

CindyA 08-15-2016 04:18 PM

Old (but still loved) Cross-Stitch As Quilt?

I'm cleaning out clutter. I have many completed cross-stitch pieces, some I did and many from my DMIL. I no longer want the framed pieces hanging on the wall; also, I have many completed pieces that were never framed or made into pillows. I still love them and don't want to get rid of them. I'm thinking of putting them into a quilt that will ocassionally be used but not enough to require frequent washing. Thoughts? Or should I just fold them up and put them into a "memory" box to pull out every once in a while and look? TIA

Tartan 08-15-2016 04:28 PM

Somewhere on QB is a quilt that someone made with cross stitch squares sashed with fabric. It turned out very pretty.

Prism99 08-15-2016 05:10 PM

You can make a quilt out of cross-stitch pieces. There was a discussion on a longarm group about how to quilt something like this. I thought you would need to go around the cross-stitching, but some posted that they had done overall quilting on cross-stitch quilts and they came out beautifully.

This may be a quilt that you would want to dry clean, as there is no way you can be certain that all of the embroidery threads used are colorfast. I think that older threads are colorfast but some of the newer ones are not because of the banning of some of the chemicals used in the past. Also, the base fabrics for the embroidery may shrink at different rates. This is not as much of an issue with close quilting lines, but could cause distortion if quilting lines are further apart.

ManiacQuilter2 08-16-2016 06:12 AM

I have seen cross-stitching be made into a quilt. I would do some research using Google.

Fastpedal 08-17-2016 05:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a cross-stitch alphabet quilt for my grandson when he was born. It is beautiful. It was never used as an everyday quilt but a wall hanging. If I can find a picture I will post it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]556097[/ATTACH]

AZ Jane 08-17-2016 05:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love embroidered quilts, while mine isn't cross stitch it is embroidered!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556100[/ATTACH]

Edie 08-17-2016 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA (Post 7628164)
I'm cleaning out clutter. I have many completed cross-stitch pieces, some I did and many from my DMIL. I no longer want the framed pieces hanging on the wall; also, I have many completed pieces that were never framed or made into pillows. I still love them and don't want to get rid of them. I'm thinking of putting them into a quilt that will ocassionally be used but not enough to require frequent washing. Thoughts? Or should I just fold them up and put them into a "memory" box to pull out every once in a while and look? TIA

I have made several embroidered quilts, both line stitching and Cross stitch. Actually, I am working on one now that is like counted cross stitch, but the stitches are all there, shading and the whole ball of wax. I made mine from Aunt Martha's transfers - had a lot of fun. I used muslin, but you can use whatever. I do mine like a sampler.....depending on the size of your blocks - 12" blocks - 3 across/5 down makes a really nice sized 52x80 coverlet. 12" blocks - 5 across/7 down makes a perfect double sized quilt.

If they are matching from a "set", you can make valances for a sewing room. My mother made a valance for a 72" picture window in the Log Cabin pattern. When she died, I got it and I treasure it. Good luck to you. It'll come to you. They talk to you, really!!!! Edie

tessagin 08-17-2016 06:59 AM

You could hand wash them first in cold water then gently warm up the water to see if there is any bleeding and throw in a color catcher. I have a few pieces of embroidery I have thrown into a grab 'n' go. Eventually planning on putting them into a quilt for DGD who loves cats.

RedGarnet222 08-17-2016 07:58 AM

I think a purse/tote bag or a sewing project bag would be very nice and you would be able to enjoy and use it. They sell all sizes of the kiss lock tops now, or perhaps a zippered style? I have a very old rocker chick purse my sister bought at a consignment shop locally for me that is made with counted cross stitch and I checked out how much they were on line. Holy smokes!

https://www.google.com/#q=cross+stitch+purse

Wow, I found one like mine on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWOT-ISABELL...0AAOSwDuJW1jvV

tildiemae 08-17-2016 04:30 PM

I made a quilt for a lady using her grandma's beaded calendars! I sashed them all and my machine quilter quilted and only popped off a couple of beads!! It was an unusual quilt and the gal loved it becaus it was memories of her grandma's handwork. Wasn't exactly a practical quilt but it fit her purpose.