Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bradenton, FL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bradenton-fl-t281434.html)

cinjosie 08-19-2016 03:31 AM

Bradenton, FL

We have been invited to vacation near Bradenton in February. Can anyone suggest places and things to see and do? We don't golf or fish and aren't beach lovers --- but I suspect Feb. isn't beach weather anyway.

QuiltnNan 08-19-2016 03:38 AM

if you are from the north, Feb is still beach weather LOL
when i moved to FL in February, I was wearing short shorts and a t-shirt... the 'natives' were all huddled in their winter jackets LOL

toverly 08-19-2016 04:47 AM

Bradenton is in the heart of the Tampa area and there's lots to do. I particularly enjoyed the Ringling Brothers house and gardens in Sarasota and eat at Yoder's while you are there. Eat the pie first. After the entrée, you won't have room. There are lots of great quilt shops in the area, check out Quilting Hub for a map of them.

ybradbury 08-19-2016 05:40 AM

Life is short .... eat dessert first, especially at Yoder's. Before going to Yoders, drop in to Alma Sue's Quilt Shop just down the street and watch the Mennonite women doing some beautiful hand quilting on frames. I agree with Toverly, go to the Ringling. The grounds and art gallery are free on Mondays. The Red Barn flea market is always a bit of a hoot. Walk the Village of the Arts and the Riverwalk; market on Main Street on Sundays, shopping at Ellenton Outlet Mall, etc etc. Lots to do.

celwood 08-20-2016 08:53 AM

St. Petersburg - Dali Museum
Tampa - Florida Aquarium
Sarasota - Circus Museum - there are other museums and Gardens at the same site
Bradenton - South Florida museum and Planetarium
Tampa - Lowry Zoo (this our favorite to visit)

Hope you have a good stay

ManiacQuilter2 08-20-2016 10:00 AM

Just keep abreast of the spread of the Zika virus. I am in So CA and I actually wear shorts 7 days a week 52 days a year unless a rain storm happens to drop a little water on this parched land.

Jo Anne B. 08-20-2016 04:51 PM

There is a used book store in Sarasota just off I-75, on Bee Line Ridge Rd. Great place to buy books!!

lots2do 08-21-2016 04:44 AM

Google Cotton Patch Quilt Shop. It's sort of small but jam packed full of beautiful fabrics, patterns and notions. There are other quilt shops but I haven't been to them yet. We also enjoy window shopping at the Fisherman's Pier in Port Charlotte. There's a neat bbq place with a river tour in that area. And we've visited a bird rehabilitation place right on the ocean.

Dakota Rose 08-21-2016 05:56 AM

A Botanical Garden (I think it is called Selby or something like that) is a must see. Right on the water and so relaxing.

Pinkquilter59 08-21-2016 06:49 AM

I live in Tampa.
Don't forget Busch Gardens. Lowry Park Zoo is great. And there are some great quilt shops.
From Bradenton, you can see great things in all directions. And of course, who can beat the Florida weather!!
Hope you enjoy yourselves.