Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine stitch count (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-stitch-count-t282936.html)

sewover 10-10-2016 06:10 PM

Sewing machine stitch count

How many hours or,stitches is concidered to be a lot to buy a used machine
Thanks
Sewover

PaperPrincess 10-10-2016 06:57 PM

Don't know, but some service people reset the stitch count back to zero when they do maintenance.

Pennyhal 10-11-2016 10:20 AM

It depends on the machine. Some machines keep track of the stitches, but not all. I can't remember how to access the stitch count on one of my machines, but I know I've done it before. I figure, just as long as it keep stitching, all is good. Just because the machine is older doesn't always mean it'll have a high stitch count either.

Clay 10-11-2016 10:38 AM

I was told when I asked about our Brother NQ1300PRW, that just the embroidery machines had stitch counters. I wanted to use it as a hour meter to really know when to do maintenance. Everyone sews different amounts and I never liked the once a year maintenance schedule.

Cari-in-Oly 10-12-2016 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7674099)
Don't know, but some service people reset the stitch count back to zero when they do maintenance.

No, that would be dishonest, same as a mechanic turning back the odometer on a car. The stitch count isn't as important as maintenance. There are machines that have stitch counts in the tens of millions that are still going strong because they are serviced and maintained.

Cari

Cari-in-Oly 10-12-2016 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Clay (Post 7674567)
I was told when I asked about our Brother NQ1300PRW, that just the embroidery machines had stitch counters. I wanted to use it as a hour meter to really know when to do maintenance. Everyone sews different amounts and I never liked the once a year maintenance schedule.

This isn't quite true either. Modern computerized machines have stitch counters but not all are user accessible, some can only be read by a service person.

Cari

Jingle 10-12-2016 03:45 PM

None of my machines have a stitch count. I guess I don't pay enough for a machine to count the stitches. If mine did it would be a very large number.

quiltedsunshine 10-12-2016 06:22 PM

Actually, there are two separate stitch counts on a sewing machine -- similar to a car. One is the lifetime stitch count, and the other is the maintenance count. When you sew so many stitches, the oil light comes on, or the "time for maintenance" light. When you bring the machine to the shop, we have to re-set the service panel, so the maintenance count will start over. Bernina machines will also separate the lifetime stitch count into regular sewing, embroidery sewing and BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) totals. The lifetime stitch count isn't always available for the consumer to see. The tech has to know how to get into the service panel to see it. That lifetime count cannot be changed.

PaperPrincess 10-14-2016 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7674099)

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 7675322)
No, that would be dishonest, same as a mechanic turning back the odometer on a car. The stitch count isn't as important as maintenance. There are machines that have stitch counts in the tens of millions that are still going strong because they are serviced and maintained.
Cari

I got my info from a service tech that they reset the stitch count to zero so that you can determine when to bring the machine back in for maintenance. According to them, it's not like a car odometer, more like the newer gauges that tell you when to change your oil.

tessagin 10-14-2016 04:26 AM

I never knew there was a stitch count. I thought you were talking about stitches per inch.