Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there a trick to cutting twister quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-trick-cutting-twister-quilts-t283042.html)

lizzie3 10-16-2016 06:30 AM

Is there a trick to cutting twister quilts?

I started to make my first twister quilt and I've noticed that no matter how careful I am while cutting the square out I accidently cut too far...which cuts into the next block. I tried sewing them together anyway but I am not sure that is a good idea. Would fray check keep it from fraying long term?

I think I'm going to add a couple new rows and start again.

If I trace the ruler with chalk and use scissors instead will the blocks be accurate enough?

PaperPrincess 10-16-2016 06:38 AM

Try using a smaller rotary cutter. Another thing that really helped me was a rotating mat so you aren't cutting in awkward angles and can have more control.

sewingitalltogether 10-16-2016 06:47 AM

I draw the twisted lines with a pigma pens and cut the top with scissors.

Onebyone 10-16-2016 07:38 AM

I stop cutting about 1/8 from the end and then snip with scissors. I made one Twister and probably won't make another.

Tartan 10-16-2016 07:53 AM

I also cut almost to the corners and then use my scissors. The smaller the Twister, the harder they are to cut.

zozee 10-16-2016 08:50 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I also didn't like how the scraps I chose looked after I sewed them together. Threw the whole dang mess away after salvaging smaller scraps from it. I do think it's a cool tool and pattern , so I'll take the advice from others above when I try again.

rryder 10-16-2016 09:08 AM

I bought a die to use with my Sizzix BigShotPro. It was a lot easier than cutting all those twisters using a rotary cutter and scissors.

So far, I've completed one quilt with the pieces I cut. A second quilt is partly pieced, and will eventually be finished. But I found that making twisters is a long term exercise in ennui...At least, that has been my experience. I just get really bored piecing together all those same sized pieces.

Once the 2nd one (currently a UFO) is done I doubt I'll make another.

Rob

Aurora 10-17-2016 01:51 AM

I trace the twister template with a pencil and cut with scissors -- no over cutting problems. Pencil lines are inside seams.

Jim 10-17-2016 05:37 AM

I have made 6 twisters and love it ...have never had a problem over cutting. I stop at the end of the templates and I use all the scraps to make smaller scrappy quilts

maviskw 10-17-2016 06:01 AM

I learned to do a twister with pencil and scissors. My granddaughter and I made one for her brother.

Then I made another and used my rotary cutter. That worked fine, too. I was really careful and didn't cut too far. I made a series of cuts on the row, then picked it up like a clothes line and did the little snipping carefully to cut the pieces apart. They need to be cut straight with the rest of the cut.