Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bad advice or did I do it wrong? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bad-advice-did-i-do-wrong-t283137.html)

Wonnie 10-20-2016 06:16 AM

Bad advice or did I do it wrong?

After basting a gozillian fabric pieces to a gozillian paper templates for the GFG quilt I'm working on, I read where you could use Elmer's washable glue instead of basting and, sounding like a terrific idea, I tried it.i Worked like a charm. The problem, however, didn't arise until I later tried to remove the paper templates and they were stuck fast! Ruined one "flower" by trying to remove the papers. What part did I miss in the process? And, how can I remove the rest without distorting my GFG "flowers"? Anyone else have this problem????

Eva Knight 10-20-2016 06:59 AM

You should not have glued in the paper. It would have been ok to press the flowers, remove the paper and them glue. To remove the other papers, you may have to soak all of them for the glue to desolve and start over.

Tartan 10-20-2016 07:58 AM

You would need to careful to only get the glue on the fabric to fabric part and not the paper. Pretty hard to do in my opinion. If the hexagons are stitched together, I would try a Q Tip with water to dissolve the glue from the back and see if that works. If not, soaking the completed top will soften the glue and paper and you should be able to remove it then.

nativetexan 10-20-2016 08:21 AM

boy, i'd be tempted to just snip the visible paper out and leave in what is under the seams allowances.

patricej 10-20-2016 09:16 AM

if you used normal paper don't worry about it.
once the quilt has been washed you won't even notice the paper was there.

if you used freezer paper it will probably take several washes to make it "invisibly soft.

if it's a wall hanging the paper will be an advantage.
it will keep it's shape nicely. :)

fruitloop 10-20-2016 09:22 AM

I never heard of using liquid washable glue. I use a glue stick and never had a problem with the cardstock templates sticking to the fabric enough I couldn't pop it out. Liquid glue will saturate, glue stick will stay on top of the surface.

NoraB 10-20-2016 09:54 AM

I still haven't started EPP, but I have watched several videos. I've also purchased something from my quilt store to use (like a glue stick). Your question is a good one....I don't want to use it if it's a pain to get off.

Lynnie is on the board and is a prolific EPP'er. Lynnie......what do you do? Do you use the glue?

Wonnie 10-20-2016 11:58 AM

Just for clarification, I looked back over my thread and when I read "liquid" glue I realized I hadn't specified that I did, in fact, use an Elmer's washable glue "stick". I only used it on the very edges of the hexie paper template before turning the seam allowance onto it. The paper templates are by "Paper Pieces and don't appear to be very heavy....definitely not the weight of poster board.

Snooze2978 10-20-2016 12:09 PM

When I do PPing I might glue the very 1st piece but only in an area that will be chopped off later, not to a section of the actual block. I glued to the actual block section and found it hard to remove so went to outside the seam allowance and it worked better. Had one block I was working on and it started in the middle of the section so had to use straight pins instead. Learned my lesson fast about when and where to use glue.

scrapngmom 10-20-2016 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wonnie (Post 7681660)
Just for clarification, I looked back over my thread and when I read "liquid" glue I realized I hadn't specified that I did, in fact, use an Elmer's washable glue "stick". I only used it on the very edges of the hexie paper template before turning the seam allowance onto it. The paper templates are by "Paper Pieces and don't appear to be very heavy....definitely not the weight of poster board.

I have used the Elmer's glue stick for my epp. I haven't had any problems removing the papers. Of course, I don't try to remove them the same day, it is at least a couple of weeks before I have enough pieced to put together a top and the glue has had a chance to sit for awhile.