Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Beef and Noodles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/beef-noodles-t283734.html)

Pennyhal 11-13-2016 11:05 AM

Beef and Noodles

Years ago (ok, 50) when I was in college and then teaching in a school, there was a popular beef and noodle dish that had a creamy gravy that the cafeterias used to serve a lot. I've been searching around online and in old cookbooks but nothing seems to fit. You never see it served anywhere anymore nowadays. Does this ring a bell for you?

notmorecraft 11-13-2016 11:15 AM

Beef stroganoff? Traditionally served with noodles

mandyrose 11-13-2016 11:22 AM

we must be the same age lol I remember that dish too one of my favorites,i made it often through the years so easy I seasoned beef cubes and cooked until tender cooked extra wide noodles until they are soft then put it all together with a can of beef gravy easy peasy now i make a mini meatloaf instead of the beef cubes. unless you are thinking of Swedish meatballs I never made them

Stitchnripper 11-13-2016 02:27 PM

Sounds like a version of stroganoff - there are probably simple recipes on Mr. Google.

GrammieJan 11-13-2016 05:39 PM

Here is my version:

Stroganoff Skillet
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can cr of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup water
3 cups wide egg noodles, uncooked

Brown the Gr beef and onions in a large deep skillet over medium heat.
Drain grease or blot with paper towel.
Gradually blend in all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and cover skillet with a lid. Simmer for 10 minutes
or until noodles are tender.

I'm sure the noodles could be cooked separately, but you might
need to omit the water in the recipe. I have not ever made
it that way.

Needles 11-14-2016 04:50 AM

We have it frequently, but I use the Knorr packets, Beef Stroganoff. I brown a pound of ground chuck with a chopped onion. Usually make it with two packets of Knorr and it cooks in about 10 min.. That way I have enough to take to my mom's for her and my brother's supper next evening. The flavor is wonderful. Serve with salad and fresh fruit.

marge954 11-14-2016 08:11 AM

40 years ago I lived with ex husbands mom in Indiana for about a year. She made a beef and noodle dish and I wish I'd paid attention because I loved it! I know she cooked and shredded stew beef meat and made a flat noodle with flour, water, salt and I think an egg. I remember watching her flour the counter and roll the flour mixture flat and cut it into strips with a butter knife. I can't remember how she made the gravy. It wasn't at all like Stroganoff, it was very simple, but I don't think I can explain the difference.

Jane Quilter 11-14-2016 08:14 AM

That is it Grammijan. Old school days......

Halo 11-14-2016 08:31 AM

I make home made noodles all the time just like marge954 is talking about. I use four, salt & eggs only. after rolling the it out, I heavely sprinkle it with the flour & roll it into a log. I then cut the log into 1/2 " sections. I then unroll them over the broth, letting the flour drop into broth, & drop the noodles in. The flour is what makes the broth thicken & they are yummy. I not only use beef, but chicken & turkey also.

Marsh 11-14-2016 08:38 AM

I make it every once in a while - very easy. I flour and brown stew meat (lean) and then add a can of beef broth.
Cover and simmer about an hour and 1/2 or until meat is tender. Then I add a can of cr. of mush. soup and a small jar of sliced mushrooms, salt and pepper and sometimes a dash of worchestershire sauce, or dash of red wine. Cook noodles separately. i'm from the midwest and that is how I remember it.