Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thangles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thangles-t284111.html)

Watson 11-29-2016 11:36 AM

Thangles

Anyone ever used Thangles? I ended up with a package but there are no directions. I can figure it out but worthwhile or better to use the rectangle sewing method? (I've used that method before for half square triangles )
Thanks
Watson

Onebyone 11-29-2016 12:00 PM

Thangles make very accurate hsts. Easy to use and fun to sew. Follow the arrows.

MadQuilter 11-29-2016 12:18 PM

As a paper piecing project, they are very accurate. It all depends on how you feel about paper piecing.

Prism99 11-29-2016 02:28 PM

I haven't used them in awhile but, when I did, they made the most accurate HSTs I've ever achieved. As I recall, you cut two strips of fabric (two different ones) the width of the Thangles strip. Layer the two fabric strips right sides together and pin the Thangles strip on top. Sew on the dotted lines (no need to cut thread in-between). Cut on the solid lines. Make your stitch length a little shorter than you normally would, so the paper is easier to remove. I think I bent the paper back at the sewing line to weaken it there. Hold a finger on the sewing line and tear the paper off.

Doggramma 11-29-2016 04:27 PM

I like them ok. They are accurate. There's a bumch of trimming when you're done, first cutting them all apart then trimming the dog ears. The trimming is the same, to me, as oversizing them and trimming.

NJ Quilter 11-29-2016 04:29 PM

I have no issue with paper piecing but am not a fan of Thangles. I've used them as required by some classes and just am not a fan. I just find it less cumbersome to do HST's the 'regular' way of putting 2 squares of fabric together, drawing the diagonal center line and sewing on either side. I usually oversize by the 1/8" to make a slightly larger unit and trimming. No less work than the Thangles but less cumbersome in my silly little mind.

ILoveToQuilt 11-29-2016 05:17 PM

Love them, love them, love them! Very, very accurate HSTs.

janjanq 11-30-2016 04:04 AM

I like them but I wish they had some kind of adhesive (like post-it notes) to hold them in place instead of having to pin them. I've tried using a little glue stick on the areas that get cut off.

itssewfun 11-30-2016 05:22 AM

I Have the Triangulations program which lets you print any size half square, quarter square and flying geese. I love it because I can print as many as I need when I need them. It is about $30.00 and worth every cent. I use newsprint or sometimes just printer paper on larger ones. On small ones it is easier to remove the newsprint. There are also papers made for paper piecing.

redstilettos 11-30-2016 05:24 AM

I'm with Jan. They move around (a lot) even pinned. Yes they can make accurate ones, but only if you are diligent in good pinning. An adhesive would be nice, maybe. I made an entire bedspread of HST using Thangles. Nice, but I'll try a different method next time.

I just read that and realized I was probably NO help what-so-ever. Sorry!