Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Drawing on quilt and reduce puckering (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/drawing-quilt-reduce-puckering-t284340.html)

KellieRiley 12-09-2016 11:34 AM

Drawing on quilt and reduce puckering

I am a new quilter and have only quilted 2 other quilts and both have been straight lines. I am trying to do some free motion quilting for a Star Wars quote that I making for my son. I had the idea of actually writing out some of the words on the quilt in cursive to keep the lettering connected. Is there a certain pen that works well on black fabric that will completely washed out so that I can trace something ?

Also, I have always had a little bit of puckering with my backing. I lay out my backing and tape it down, spray baste the batting and top layer, and then pin it. When I folded it up to put away for the night I noticed that there were still some areas on the back that look like they are going to pucker. How do I minimize this so I don't have to take all of it apart and rebaste it together?

PaperPrincess 12-09-2016 11:57 AM

don't know as there is a simple solution for the backing that's got extra fullness before quilting. Maybe someone will come up with a solution. As far as the cursive text, I would get some tissue paper (wrapping tissue) write the words on that, pin the paper to the quilt and sew right thru the paper. Because the paper is so thin, it's easy to position on the quilt and you can easily tear it away after.

Tartan 12-09-2016 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my favourite marking tool for dark fabric. Always use white chalk NEVER coloured as it won't come out. Start quilting from the middle out so any extra fabric can go to the edges. I kind of make a frame with my hands in my Machinger gloves when I FMQ the area around my needle.[ATTACH=CONFIG]563371[/ATTACH]

Sewnoma 12-09-2016 01:56 PM

When you tape your backing down, make sure you aren't stretching it. You want it flat, but not stretched. That can give you puckers.

I use old fashioned tailor's chalk for marking dark fabrics. Cheap, and works great.

lots2do 12-09-2016 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7715298)
don't know as there is a simple solution for the backing that's got extra fullness before quilting. Maybe someone will come up with a solution. As far as the cursive text, I would get some tissue paper (wrapping tissue) write the words on that, pin the paper to the quilt and sew right thru the paper. Because the paper is so thin, it's easy to position on the quilt and you can easily tear it away after.

Great tip, thanks!

Prism99 12-09-2016 04:02 PM

Next time heavily starch the backing before layering. Starch stabilizes the fabric so it is much less likely to pucker. What you can do with the sandwich you have is lay it out on a large flat sheet, spray starch the back working from the outside edges towards center to minimize overspray, let dry (a fan speeds drying), then repeat spray starch layers several more times. You can do the same to the top. This will help prevent puckers and tucks when you quilt.

Jan in VA 12-09-2016 06:16 PM

I used to do a lot of cursive writing on quilts, especially in borders, and for me, just "writing" with the needle worked best. No following previous markings. But the tissue idea really works, too. You can wet the paper afterward to help with removing it.

Jan in VA

KellieRiley 12-09-2016 10:28 PM

Thank you guys so much! I'm going to try the tissue paper idea to make sure I get good spacing with the letters ahead of time!

KellieRiley 12-09-2016 10:30 PM

Did you stop and tie off the thread with each word when quilting in cursive or writing?

PaperPrincess 12-10-2016 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by KellieRiley (Post 7715633)
Did you stop and tie off the thread with each word when quilting in cursive or writing?

If the thread path is not continued, then yes, you have to secure the ends somehow. Some machines have a 'fix' or 'tie off' function. I don't like mine because it leaves a knot on the back. You can back tack a couple stiches, knot by hand or do 4-5 teeny tiny stitches. You have to do this any time you start or stop your quilting unless it's at the edge where it will be secured in the binding. This is why many quilters are so interested in continuous line designs. Securing your thread when starting and stopping is a PITA.