Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Old quilt falling apart.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-quilt-falling-apart-t284687.html)

Born2Sew 12-23-2016 01:45 PM

Old quilt falling apart....

What do you ladies do when a friend brings you an old quilt that just really needs the entire top replaced? As far as I can tell the back and batting are fine, but the top is just way to far gone to even attempt to save it. I am trying to decide whether to make a new top for it and then add a new binding.

Jane Quilter 12-23-2016 02:18 PM

Good idea...but do it only with permission from the owner.

toverly 12-23-2016 02:37 PM

This has happened to me before. I told them it was unrepairable. I just couldn't justify the time and effort to put on a worn out quilt. It is different if there was one fabric that wasn't holding up or something like that. To replace an entire top, it would be better to make a new quilt.

quiltingbuddy 12-23-2016 02:40 PM

Without seeing it I'm wondering if just making new patches would work? I can't imagine trying to make a new top. Why not just make a new quilt instead? I'm not a fan of cutting up quilts but I've seen old quilts made into bears and such just to preserve the memories. I'm not sure there is a good solution. Good luck deciding what to do.

PaperPrincess 12-23-2016 03:00 PM

If you make a new top, isn't that just a new quilt?

QuiltnNan 12-23-2016 03:20 PM

if they are in love with the fabrics, i.e. sentimental value, i would cover the quilt with tulle and quilt over it.

quiltingshorttimer 12-23-2016 09:03 PM

I wouldn't try to repair this other than doing as QuiltnNan suggested.

Tartan 12-23-2016 09:27 PM

I had a special request to repair an old 9 patch tied quilt. It would have easier to make a new one but this had been pieced by her deceased mother. I repaired it, replacing some patches that couldn't be saved. If the top us in as bad as shape as it sounds, tell your friends it is beyond repair. Tell her if it has great sentimental value you will preserve it as QuiltnNan suggested.

Born2Sew 12-24-2016 03:52 PM

It's a sun bonnet Sue with the other blocks just in a solid color. I really think she just bought it somewhere, and why on earth she did, is totally beyond my understanding. All the solid blocks are just basically shredded. Even the Sun bonnet Sue's are in horrible shape. Actually, it's not something I would enjoy doing, even for myself. I have done repairs on quilts that just needed "help"... Thanks for your opinions!

Bree123 12-24-2016 04:09 PM

Honestly, I even referred my closest friend to a restoration expert when she showed me a beautiful, but quite damaged old quilt that was a family heirloom from nearly 100 years ago.

I made the mistake of taking on a commissioned quilt using an old quilt/comforter once. It took me more hours than my most elaborate new needleturn appliquéd quilts, and I had to do a ton of research. Especially not knowing the origin, I'd really think twice before taking on such a task. If you agree to do that, be sure she understands the risks & that it could easily take you 40-50 hours as there is extensive damage & the frail fabric will likely need to be stabilized before you can do anything with it.