Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Chemotherapy quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chemotherapy-quilt-t284796.html)

Kwiltr 12-29-2016 09:35 AM

Chemotherapy quilt?

A close friend has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. I've seen many posts mentioning chemotherapy quilts given in similar situations, but I can't find thru searching the forum a description of what makes a great cancer patient quilt, so I'm reaching out here for opinions and insights on the key ingredients. Size, batting weight, fabric type, intended use for the recipient.

Thank you in advance!

gramajo 12-29-2016 09:55 AM

A friend had breast cancer and she DID NOT want it to be pink. She wanted to use it after surgery/chemo/radiation without being reminded of the cancer.

PaperPrincess 12-29-2016 09:58 AM

In addition to the quilt, make a tote bag so she can bring it to treatments. An alternative would be to make it a quillow and put handles on the pocket portion that can be tucked in when not needed.
Warm, but light weight (wool or poly batting) and a flannel backing so it won't slide.

Jane Quilter 12-29-2016 09:59 AM

many breast cancers don't require chemo, check her needs first

QuiltE 12-29-2016 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo (Post 7728320)
A friend had breast cancer and she DID NOT want it to be pink. She wanted to use it after surgery/chemo/radiation without being reminded of the cancer.

I'm with you and your friend GramaJo ....

If/when my time comes for such, I do NOT want pink. Nor do I want the breast cancer ribbon/symbol .... or one for whatever affliction I have. Rather, I would appreciate one in the colours that I enjoy ... and of fabric that I adore relating to things important to me, whether it be one, or many different things.

Depending on the person ... that may be cat fabric? or horses? or flowers? or done as an adult I Spy with all sorts of different fabrics and stories within.

Kwiltr ... you know your friend and what s/he may appreciate. Some want one that they can take with them for their treatments. If so, the agreement seems to be that it be light in weight, not bulky, yet large enough to cover the patient well. A carrying bag made to go with it is a good idea. Some would prefer to have one that is a keep-at-home .... again, you likely want it to be warm yet light in weight for them and big enough to cover well, and curl up with. Of course, some of this depends on the climate they are in ... maybe warm is not an issue!

For all, you want to make sure it is durable and washable, as it may need laundering more often than regular quilts. For medical situations ... hot water and dryer is often advisable in order to be sure any bacteria or contaminants can be removed. That may be a big part in helping you decide which fabrics to choose.

Good Luck .... the important part ... make your quilt with LOVE!

selm 12-29-2016 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo (Post 7728320)

Yes, I agree, my sister had breast cancer and never liked all the pink cancer ribbons designs.

selm 12-29-2016 11:38 AM

When I made throws for my sister as she had chemo treatments I just made regular throws in colors I thought she would like. I made her one when she was to have another round of chemo. It turned out she didn't have to have them so I told her it was a "I don't have to have chemo throw" She like that.

QuiltE 12-29-2016 11:44 AM

Despite what I said ..... what we all need to remember is that some people really do want to see pink, the ribbon and all sorts of symbolic representations.

At such a difficult time, the important part to remember is to be sensitive to what is important to the individual, and not what we believe or like.

GEMRM 12-29-2016 01:08 PM

My only addition to all the great suggestions here - sizewise I would recommend would be about 50 x 66-70. Depending on the size of the person, I like enough to cover the feet and pull up to the shoulders if needed.

suern3 12-29-2016 04:29 PM

I think someone posted before about a chemo quilt with a kind of "pocket" for the feet to fit into. Sounded cozy. I'm sure someone here can lock for that. I'm not good on searches. Whatever you decide to make, I'm sure your friend will love it because it is from you.