Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how would this look? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-would-look-t284802.html)

minibarn 12-29-2016 11:34 AM

how would this look?

I have two quilts I want to make that each have 12 12" blocks. They are sampler blocks using Christmas fabrics. I was wondering about putting a 1" black "frame" around each block so that the block colors won't clash or blend w/whatever I use for the sashing. Would that look OK, or will it look crazy?

Also, what is a good size for a lap quilt? Is 52 x 64 a good size?

Thanks for any help!

slbram17 12-29-2016 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by minibarn (Post 7728384)
I have two quilts I want to make that each have 12 12" blocks. They are sampler blocks using Christmas fabrics. I was wondering about putting a 1" black "frame" around each block so that the block colors won't clash or blend w/whatever I use for the sashing. Would that look OK, or will it look crazy?

Also, what is a good size for a lap quilt? Is 52 x 64 a good size?

Thanks for any help!

I looked up (google) lap quilt size and saw 50 x 65 so looks like you are close in size.

PaperPrincess 12-29-2016 11:56 AM

I think you are all set. The black will frame the blocks and the size is good.

ILoveToQuilt 12-29-2016 12:10 PM

Suggestion: make the blocks, then lay them out on a piece of black fabric so that it looks like they are framed. That way you can see what they would look like in frames, without having to unsew if you don't like the frames. Clear as mud I hope?

Regarding size: you are fine.

MadQuilter 12-29-2016 12:36 PM

I usually put sashing around my sampler blocks and I generally go with something a little wider like 2" finished.

meyert 12-29-2016 12:51 PM

Suggestion: make the blocks, then lay them out on a piece of black fabric so that it looks like they are framed. That way you can see what they would look like in frames, without having to unsew if you don't like the frames. Clear as mud I hope?
this is a good suggestion

As far as the size I change mine up. If you are going to use it yourself or give as gift or sell - I would think about that. My son is tall (6'4") so the quilt I made for our couch is long to give him more coverage.. just something to think about

Fabric Galore 12-29-2016 01:01 PM

I like the suggestion by ILoveToQuilt. I would also lay the blocks out on a fabric to see how I liked it before I sewed the frames to the blocks.

Tartan 12-29-2016 01:54 PM

If the blocks are bright then black will look good. If the blocks are pastels, a lighter grey or green might be best.

Jane Quilter 12-29-2016 04:55 PM

It would help to see some of the blocks.....

minibarn 12-29-2016 08:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, and I will see if I can post a picture of the blocks (need to take one first). They are Christmas fabrics, so not really any pastels.

The reason I thought of doing only a 1" frame is because I plan to add 2" sashing in another color too so I thought the narrower would look better.

Thanks for the tip on size too. Thankfully these are both going to women that are not very tall (4' 10" and 5' 4") lol.