Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Slip cover (of sorts) for couch back (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/slip-cover-sorts-couch-back-t284841.html)

osewme 12-30-2016 07:14 PM

Slip cover (of sorts) for couch back

We have leather furniture in our living room & DH likes the back of the couch covered in the winter time because he says it's cold. Has anyone ever made a sort of slip cover for just the back of a couch? I've made a toaster cover & think it would be sort of like that. I will have to "bypass" the arms & make the cover go down lower than the arms (if that makes sense). Also, I want the back to go about half way down the back on the outside so that it doesn't slip off the top. Right now he's using an old chennell (sp) bedspread to cover the back but I want something a bit more attractive. :) I'm thinking of quilting it. Any suggestions for a tutorial that would show just how to measure something like this? I'm thinking this would be a good Christmas gift for next year.

thimblebug6000 12-30-2016 07:26 PM

Couldn't you just fold a full size quilt over the back and it could be adjusted as needed? I Have quilts on the backs of all our recliners and couches.

cashs_mom 12-30-2016 08:36 PM

I have a fleece blanket over the back of the couch my husband sits on. It works great.

NJ Quilter 12-31-2016 04:56 AM

I'm not sure how you would get it to stay in place without including the arms being covered as well. Then again, I could be missing something here.

illinois 12-31-2016 05:24 AM

Some stores sell covers for couches and chairs. I think they are called protectors? Most are quilted fabric and easy to take off for laundering. Yes, I think you could make one similar to a toaster cover and perhaps make the front longer that it could go under the cushions to "anchor" it in place.

osewme 12-31-2016 06:50 AM

I've tried the quilt on the back but it keeps slipping down & he doesn't like that.
Illinois, that's what I was thinking about the front of it (longer so it would tuck under the cushions). I don't want to put a lot of time or $ into this in case it doesn't work but I want something for it when he needs it. Maybe I could make something out of fleece & not get involved in quilting it (especially for the first (prototype) one. Thanks for the suggestions.

maviskw 12-31-2016 07:29 AM

Make a "pillow case". I made some pillow case type covers for our daughters chairs. The chairs had been covered in white fabric, and the corners were wearing out. The slip covers matched the drapes in the kitchen. (Drapes were St. Vinney's find. Four of them were put on the windows and the other four were made into chair covers.)
You could make them with one end much longer than the other. And you can make box corners to fit the thickness of the chair back.
And use thick fabric.

rainbowzebra 12-31-2016 09:04 AM

Use the non skid shelf liner on the inside of the part that goes down the back, should help keep it from slipping

selm 12-31-2016 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by rainbowzebra (Post 7729831)
Use the non skid shelf liner on the inside of the part that goes down the back, should help keep it from slipping

great idea!

osewme 12-31-2016 09:58 AM

Oh maviskw, I like that pillowcase idea better than the form fitted toaster cover idea. It would be so much easier & box corners are so easy to make instead of set in pieces. Thanks.
rainbowzebra, that's a brilliant idea about the non skid shelf liner.
This is why I love this board soooo much. Helpful, brilliant ideas to get me through times like this. THANKS!