Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Instead of traditional batting.....? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/instead-traditional-batting-t285296.html)

LenaBeena 01-16-2017 05:29 PM

Instead of traditional batting.....?

Could fleece or even double knit pieces be used inside quilts?:wave: Thanks for your help!

MFord 01-16-2017 05:56 PM

I've heard of people using fleece for batting. I think it would make a very heavy quilt!

cashs_mom 01-16-2017 06:18 PM

I agree, Margaret.

Barb in Louisiana 01-16-2017 06:59 PM

My girlfriend used blankets inside her quilts in the 60's & '70's. They were very heavy and very warm. Definitely not what you want in the Deep South. The problem with using double knit is that it doesn't shrink. Before I put it in a quilt, I would make a mug rug or table runner with it and wash it after quilting. Does it achieve the look you want? If so, go for it.

Kitsie 01-16-2017 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by MFord (Post 7742717)
I've heard of people using fleece for batting. I think it would make a very heavy quilt!

I have a fleece blanket that's like sleeping under a feather! I would not use for batting but just as the batting/backing combined.

Annaquilts 01-16-2017 10:01 PM

I put fleece in one baby quilt and it was so heavy.

Gay 01-16-2017 10:48 PM

I've quilted queen size quilts using cotton and wool/cotton blends and the clients said they were too heavy. One was undone and had to be re-quilted without batting. The other, a friend, got me to make another quilt and finished it without batting. both were happy with the results.

I have also used minky ( so soft) & polar fleece, which I didn't think was any heavier than the traditional battings.
The last few quilts I used what I'm told was micro fleece, which isn't as thick, but is as warm as the normal fleece. It wasn't the best to quilt as I had to lower the foot to avoid skipped stitches, and the foot stuck on the denser piecing joins, upsetting the stitching, but I thought it was a bit lighter to carry.

Bobbielinks 01-17-2017 08:20 AM

I just finished quilting two pillowcases using fleece (I found a piece of fleece in my stash that was the right size for the two cases, and I couldn't remember why I purchased that fleece so decided to use it) I do not like how the cases quilted up. The fleece did not "fill" between the quilting lines like normal batting so the quilt block fabric has a little puff on top of the very flat fleece. I'm thinking of frogging the cases and quilting again with my beloved Hobbed 80/20.

Peckish 01-17-2017 09:33 AM

One of my first quilts, before I knew the so-called "rules" and that the Quilt Police would come after me ;), was a pieced top with a fleece blanket that doubled as both backing and batting. It is wonderfully warm, not heavy at all, and my son loves it. I say go for it. :thumbup:

DogHouseMom 01-17-2017 09:34 AM

I love using a single layer of flannel (pre-washed / pre-shrunk) inside my baby quilts. It makes for a VERY supple quilt, but does not lend itself to see much of the quilting definition.