Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to Laundry Finished Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-laundry-finished-quilt-t286364.html)

rvsfan 02-24-2017 06:05 PM

How to Laundry Finished Quilt?

I have never put a finished quilt through the laundry. Do I put detergent in the water? What temp water? Is spin drain okay? Do you put it in the dryer? Till dry or damp dry? I don't know anything about how to do this except use Color Catchers. Thanks for the info I know you great quilters will give me.

gramajo 02-24-2017 06:16 PM

I always wash my quilts when they're finished. I use warm water, my regular detergent and either delicate or wash n wear settings and dry in the dryer on medium heat. I always use a color catcher or 2 since I do not prewash my fabrics.

popover 02-24-2017 06:16 PM

I wash normally, in cold water with detergent. Been doing it that way since 1972. I dry on low heat, or hang to dry.

maryb119 02-24-2017 06:17 PM

I wash mine on gentle cycle with detergent and use the spin cycle. Then I line dry them outside. I never put a quilt in the dryer. They roll up in a ball and don't get dry. I line to line dry them on a day when there is a nice breeze. They smell so fresh.

Stitchnripper 02-24-2017 06:31 PM

I don't prewash. After the quilt is done I wash it in cold water with a little detergent and then put it in the dryer. I know the recipients won't give them any special care (I know my recipients!) so I do what they will and so far so good. I make quilts to be used and if they wear out from use I'm happy.

slbram17 02-24-2017 07:08 PM

I wash in warm water with detergent. Dried in the dryer.

minibarn 02-24-2017 07:52 PM

Same here, warm water and dryer for the first time, then I line dry weather permitting. I read somewhere once that warm water is better to help dissolve the detergent, otherwise I would use cold.

Jan in VA 02-24-2017 08:01 PM

Same here, always. For over 30 years. :)

Kwiltr 02-24-2017 08:18 PM

I don't see that anyone has mentioned this, but if you have used marking pens on the quilt, you will want to rinse the quilt in cold water without soap or detergent before doing a regular wash with soap and warm water. Some marking pens will set with warm water and detergent if they are removed ahead of time. I just put mine through a cold rinse cycle on my washer, then when it's done, add the soap and select a gentle wash. When that's done, I throw the quilt in the dryer on a medium setting. I figure if it's a quilt that will be used, it's going to have to stand up to being washed and it most likely won't get babied. Depending on the size, hanging a wet quilt can be damaging as they are quite heavy when wet.

ctrysass2012 02-24-2017 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 7771810)
I don't prewash. After the quilt is done I wash it in cold water with a little detergent and then put it in the dryer. I know the recipients won't give them any special care (I know my recipients!) so I do what they will and so far so good. I make quilts to be used and if they wear out from use I'm happy.

I also know my recipients :). I have also seen some of the quilts & they do get used, very well. They aren't torn but are a bit faded. I have been washing in warm to make sure the Elmer's is well dissolved.