Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   I tried this yesterday.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/i-tried-yesterday-t286394.html)

TrishL75 02-25-2017 06:59 PM

I tried this yesterday..

...But I let my login expire before I hit submit, so here we are again.

A long time ago (23 years?) my older sister tried to teach me how to quilt, but it was all hand sewing and I was a teenager, so it didn't stick.

I'm currently in far West Texas; as far as you can get before you hit New Mexico. I'm in the military, and married to a man in the military; we're going to have to transition to our first post-retirement jobs in about four years.

I got into crafting in 2008; my husband let us go to his mom's house for Christmas without gifts. I managed to knit a simple scarf in time to have something under the tree, and then found out that knitting was actually something I was pretty good at. My philosophy was that it's only yarn, so I ended up doing some pretty advanced techniques early. I suspect I may end up the same way with quilting, because I'm putting together my first ever quilt, and I'm planning to FMQ it. (Best I can describe it is a very simplified Bargello - 2.5" X 10.5" strips staggered - I'm planning on a simple 1.25" border cable down the strips)

I've already received three welcome posts and PMs, so I know this is going to be a great place.

Pat M. 02-25-2017 08:25 PM

Hi there, I'm over the border here in New Mexico. There are a few quilt shops around this area that are nice.

cashs_mom 02-25-2017 08:25 PM

This is an awesome place, Trish. I"m glad you're here. I'm from the other side of the state, just outside of Houston. Always good to see another Texan. :)

Lori B. 02-26-2017 04:52 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

Abby'smom 02-26-2017 05:54 AM

:) welcome from se TX

jetayre 02-26-2017 06:18 AM

Welcome from Vermont!!!!

osewme 02-26-2017 06:22 AM

Here's a big Howdy from Texas. Sounds like you are already on the right road to quilting. I'm in awe that you are going to try a Bargello for your first quilt & that you are going to FM quilt it. We Have to see pics of it when you are finished.

TrishL75 02-26-2017 02:57 PM

Oh, no, I think I'm not being clear... A bargello is strip-pieced, right? And then cut, and staggered, and re-sewn to look horribly complex.

This is the same thing, except instead of tiny little pieces, the original lengths are all 10 1/2", and they're cut the same width of 2 1/2", and staggered into a gentle wave. (For a total piece size of 2" X 10")

The FMQ is a simple 1 1/4" cable that I'm going to run down each strip after SITD to stabilize the whole thing.

I wish I could figure out how to take a picture and attach it while on my phone. Guess I've got some research to do!

Barb in Louisiana 02-26-2017 03:23 PM

Welcome from South Louisiana. Quilting is a wonderful way to express your creativity and it sounds like you have already caught the bug. I will look forward to seeing your projects.

QuiltnNan 02-26-2017 03:54 PM

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting :)