Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Elna sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/elna-sewing-machine-t287041.html)

meyert 03-24-2017 11:46 AM

Elna sewing machine

I know these is a crazy question, but I know there are alot of smart people out there who may understand this and have a suggestion

My niece has been borrowing my Janome Magnolia 7330. Its a great machine and I like it alot - my neice liked it too. Well her father wanted to buy her a sewing machine - seeing his daughter sew reminded him of his mother and grandmother sewing and he wanted to help her

Very generously he bought her an Elna 3230. Its a beautiful machine, but come to find out it can't be used without the foot pedal - or so that's what we think. She really liked that feature on my Janomes

Do any of you guys know if this machine can be used without the foot pedal - like the start stop button on my other machines?

mermaid 03-24-2017 02:54 PM

Specs say nothing about sewing w/o peddle..
[h=1]TECHNICAL FEATURES[/h]
  • LCD screen
  • Language display
  • Programmable up/down needle key
  • Reverse key
  • Built-in needle threader
  • Electronic speed reducer
  • Automatic tension
  • Strong needle penetration on all fabrics
  • Rotary horizontal hook with transparent bobbin cover
  • Automatic declutch bobbin winder
  • Built-in thread cutter
  • Drop feed dog
  • Adjustable foot pressure
  • Extra presser foot lift
  • Clip-on presser feet
  • Metric/inch measurements on needle plate and bobbin cover plate
  • Free arm
  • Carrying handle
  • Hard cover

Cari-in-Oly 03-24-2017 09:36 PM

If that were a feature on the machine it would be in her manual.

Cari

Jennifer23 03-25-2017 07:58 AM

No, it can't be used that way. Sorry :(

meyert 03-25-2017 02:29 PM

Thanks for your replies.. told you it was a silly question.. I just had to ask

Karamarie 03-26-2017 04:31 AM

I let my Granddaughter start sewing on my Janome 6600 which has all the bells & whistles including using the start/stop button. After a while I realized she should be using an ordinary mechanical sewing machine to learn so she knows the basics of a machine. She is 12 now and is taking sewing in home ec and uses a mechanical machine. I now let her sew on an Elna mechanical and she is doing great. What I'm trying to say is start on a simple machine, learn the basics and then if the opportunity presents itself, move up to more features. Kind of like my Dad said - learn to drive a straight stick car so you know how if you have to as anyone can drive an automatic. Thanks Dad as that situation did present itself more than once in my lifetime.

EmiliasNana 03-26-2017 06:36 AM

I know it is personal preference, but piecing/quilting can be done on any machine, it is all what you get used to. I prefer simpler with few bells and whistles, but others can't live without auto cutter, laser guides, etc. Kind of like autos too (blue tooth, leather seats, etc.) Whatever floats your boat.

bearisgray 03-26-2017 06:44 AM

It is easy to become accustomized to having "everything."

Sounds like the elna is a very respectable machine.

meyert 03-26-2017 02:09 PM

thank you for all of your thoughts... I am sure she will adapt just fine. Many people would prefer using the foot pedal anyway

beckyboo1 03-26-2017 04:10 PM

This may also be a dumb question but what is the advantage to sewing without the foot pedal?