Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To Judge Or Not To Judge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/judge-not-judge-t287425.html)

MOBRIDGE MOM 04-10-2017 07:32 AM

To Judge Or Not To Judge

I am thinking about entering a couple of quilts in a quilt show and you can enter them to be judged or to not be judged. I get that every judge is different but was wondering what a judge would be looking for or at? If you had a choice which category would you enter? Do they give constructive criticism or just what they think is wrong with the quilt?

Another thing they are having is an appraiser. Would you have a quilt you just made appraised? I kinda figure a quilt I just made is worth 2 x the cost of materials and quilting, but if I had an antique one I wouldn't know what it would be worth.

Just curious about what you ladies think?

Tartan 04-10-2017 07:44 AM

Without knowing your location, it is hard to say but here quilts are judged on workmanship and overall appeal. There should be no more then a handwidth space between quilting, sashing should be straight, no triangles missing their corners, no threads or animal hair on the surface, good corners on the binding with the corners stitched down. Any of these things will not eliminate a quilt from getting a ribbon depending on what else is in the category. Go ahead and enter then to be judged, you may just walk away with a pretty ribbon to display.

linda8450 04-10-2017 07:47 AM

I can give you my experience, such as it is. I had never thought of myself as a "quilter" (tho I am in a guild and I do make quilts) because I have been sewing since I was 4 yrs old (now fast approaching 74!). I made clothes, did alterations, played with crafts. I am really a good sewist! Quilting, I don't like little pieces, love panels, go pedal to the metal and don't like to fuss with details! Ha, not great quilter material. lol. I made a special quilt for my dil, she hom schools my autistic g-son. I embroidered in the borders all the words with special meaning; love, patience, confidence, etc. It was bright colors in the puzzle pieces pattern with black borders. Very striking, everyone loved it, but again, not the best workmanship, accuracy on corners, etc. I entered it, never in 8 years of quilting had I entered anything. Won first place! I couldn't believe it, was so in shock I didn't stand to get my award, thought they were kidding???

Our judge gave good feedback, praise and criticism as well. I think the bold colors is what got my ribbon, but everyone stopped to look at it! Also, we tell a story about our quilts and that won second place! (Lady whose husband died made a quilt from his shirts and told his story, no ribbon for the quilt, but first place for the story.) It is a mystery worth the adventure. Enter, see what happens, usually free or just a small fee to enter, what do you have to lose?

Appraised, unless it is a SPECTACULAR quilt, with exquisite piecing and quilting (perhaps an art quilt) I wouldn't spend money on a new one. Antiques are also judged/appraised on the piecing and quilting, color, pattern, how rare, what kind of shape, etc. If you know the provenance, history, that increases the value. Hate to say "you be the judge" if it is worth paying the fee, but again, what do you have to lose except the cost of the appraisal fee?

tessagin 04-10-2017 07:58 AM

Also depends on how you can handle critique. I went to a quilt show and one quilter was so upset that it didn't get a ribbon even for honorable mention. It was suppose to be hand bound and a few threads missed removal.

Maggie_Sue 04-10-2017 09:44 AM

I entered my very first quilt about ten years ago, I thought it was a very striking quilt!!! Would you believe I won a 2nd place ribbon!!! My reason fro entering was for the feedback I would get because I was a new quilter. I received constructive criticism, along with suggestions. The ribbon was an absolute bonus!!! I would enter you just never know!!!

cashs_mom 04-10-2017 09:51 AM

I agree that it depends on how well you handle critique. If you aren't going to be upset because the judge points out your quilts deficits, you ahead. You can learn a lot from competition and from the other entrants. If there are judging sheets be sure to ask for yours. I've competed with horses in the past and I currently show cars. Judges sheets can be very revealing. I've learned a lot from them. Above all, have a good time and remember, no matter what the outcome, it's just one person's opinion. While they are carrying the title of "judge" at the moment, they may not have that much knowledge or may not be objective about things.

Watson 04-10-2017 10:10 AM

I would say get judged. It's worthwhile to get another person's opinion of your work because sometimes we miss things that we didn't even know to look for and it will help us become better quilters.
Remember though that it is just their opinion, so be ready to take the critique with a grain of salt and not take it to heart. While they just see fabric, technical aspects and stitches, we see all the time/decisions and love that went into making it.
I have one going in a show in June and I know I'm going to get skewered for the back, because my corners are off, but I still think it's worthwhile to enter because I want an opinion on how I did with the technique I used.

Let us know how it turns out!

Watson

feline fanatic 04-10-2017 10:16 AM

I agree with the other posters that you should go ahead and get it judged as long as you can handle a critique. In my experience they are not harsh. They point out good qualities and most of the critique involves workmanship issues that can be improved which is the whole point of getting the judges feedback.

quiltingcandy 04-10-2017 10:26 AM

Well, I am the odd man out. I quilt because I like to sew and love fabric. People that receive my quilts are my judges and if they love them then it is better than any ribbon on earth. That is all I need or want. I have always hated being tested and to me that is what judging is. Even though I did well in school I was always tied in knots over testing. Can't imagine putting myself through that with a hobby.

gramajo 04-10-2017 10:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'd say enter it for judging. I am by no means a great quilter, but have received several ribbons. The judges comments have been very helpful My most cherished ribbon is a Viewer's Choice of a quilt I made for a nephew who is a huge Beatles fan. It was a just a panel of the Beatles bordered. My nephew loved it and I was thrilled that others did too.[ATTACH=CONFIG]571321[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]571322[/ATTACH]He is also a huge movie fan so I used movie related fabric for the backing. The quilt is named "The Beatles and a Movie for Bob".