Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   recommendation for machine that does embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/recommendation-machine-does-embroidery-t287669.html)

sarge1 04-21-2017 09:40 AM

recommendation for machine that does embroidery

Right now I have a Husqvarna Viking Quilt Designer II, which has an embroidery attachment. The embroidery component is giving out. I'd still keep the machine for piecing/quilting, so can anyone recommend a very basic, entry level, inexpensive, stand alone embroidery machine? Thank you in advance.

quiltingcandy 04-21-2017 10:46 AM

What size are you looking for? I hear the Brother PE770 is a good machine and very user friendly. It is limited to the largest hoop is 5 x 7. There is another larger hoop but it means you have to move the hoop for the pattern.

I have the Viking/Husqvarna Topaz 20 and I love it. So if it were me, I would get another Viking.

sarge1 04-21-2017 12:38 PM

Good question; the largest size I need is a 9 X 7 hoop. Thank you!

Gerbie 04-22-2017 02:49 AM

I received the Brother PE770 for Christmas from my DH and he purchased the Grand Slam pkg, along with another pkg that had several other hoops, even a cap and sock hoop plus extra stabilizer, and 1500 designs from Mr.& Mrs. Sew & Vac. Lots of goodies at a much cheaper price almost $1,000.00 than from the dealer I went to. I haven't had time t really work with it due to illness an other problems that came up. I'm anxious to get started in the next week or so though. I don't know if the offer is still available.

Gerbie 04-22-2017 02:54 AM

The machine from the dealer only came with the 5x7 hoop. All of the other hoops were at additional prices and quite expensive. I'm new to embroidery, so I was overwhelmed at the cost of the hoops from the dealer.

Krystyna 04-22-2017 05:35 AM

Absolutely the Brother PE770. You can use a 5x7 hoop. If you think you'll never use anything larger than 4x4 - think again. You will. This machine is a workhorse. Love, love, love it.

DebbieJJ 04-23-2017 01:15 AM

Any of the Brother machines are great! I have 2 Brother sewing/embroidery machines (I won one in a give-away contest), and one that is sewing only. One of my sewing/embroidery machines is a Brother ULT2002D, and any problems I've had have been operator error. It's a workhorse also.:)

Sandygirl 04-23-2017 02:01 AM

Love my Janome 9900. Just wish I had more time to use the embroidery function...soon...
sandy

janjanq 04-23-2017 05:43 AM

Love my Babylock Ellegante and my Babylock Sofia II. Neither are stand alone embroidery machines however. I use both for quilting, general sewing, and embroidery.

Bneighbor 04-23-2017 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie (Post 7808975)
The machine from the dealer only came with the 5x7 hoop. All of the other hoops were at additional prices and quite expensive. I'm new to embroidery, so I was overwhelmed at the cost of the hoops from the dealer.

There are many places you can get genuine Brother hoops online at a very reduced price. Google Beother embroidery hoops and you just have to compare prices.