Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finally after over 70 years, I did it, and am I ever glad!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finally-after-over-70-years-i-did-am-i-ever-glad-t287806.html)

LenaBeena 04-26-2017 07:33 AM

Finally after over 70 years, I did it, and am I ever glad!!!!!

:shock: Have to plead guilty. I said I never would, was told I never should, thought I never could...............but I did and am glad! Wish now I had done this much earlier (over 70 years). So what on earth did I do? Hold on to your sewing machines.............I sewed both a dress and now doing a quilt..............following a pattern. (deep sigh) In Home Ec. we were taught following a pattern was not creating, but copying. So to learn we did our own measuring, fitting, etc. It is remarkable how much easier this way is. I can hardly believe it. The dress is actually a costume for a play and the pattern was give to me along with the fabric. Its for a Shakespeare production and quite fancy. The quilt pattern was a birthday gift from a fellow quilter who does amazing work.......using patterns, and she thought I would like it. So spread the word friends, patterns are not evil, they are practical and good. :) :) :)

QuiltnNan 04-26-2017 07:47 AM

congrats on following patterns. i often stray from them, but sometimes it's just necessary

Onebyone 04-26-2017 08:00 AM

In my Home Ec class we were taught to follow the pattern exactly only changing lengths when necessary. The main focus was on the how to follow a pattern. Once we understood the basics of the pattern then it was easy to modify.

Macybaby 04-26-2017 08:08 AM

Funny!

I'm 15 years younger, and when I was in Home Ec in high school, the teachers thought I was "odd" because I didn't like following the pattern. Had been sewing since I was five, and they weren't teaching anything I didn't already know how to do.

Interesting how fast things change, I was one of the few girls in the class that knew how to sew already, most had no clue. The next year was the first year the school allowed Boys in Home Ec and Girls in Shop. A few years later the basic classes in both areas were combined and required.

I have an antique McDowell's Pattern Drafting kit - pretty neat to think about how that was used for those creating garments long ago.

Cactus Stitchin 04-26-2017 08:17 AM

Ha ha! My college major was Home Economics, Clothing Construction, and the emphasis was on learning how to alter patterns for a perfect fit. I'm not that far behind you in birthdays but its funny how much our educations varied.

PatPitter 04-26-2017 08:18 AM

I'm a few years younger. I went to a small school that didn't offer home ec. I learned to sew at the Singer store. I was thinking recently how I didn't know at the time about doing things on your own. I had only seen my mother sew from patterns. I never thought about who created the patterns.

Jane Quilter 04-26-2017 08:38 AM

I learned to sew by reading patterns and books......oh what I would have done for an internet and you tube!

nativetexan 04-26-2017 09:37 AM

oh my Mother made wedding dresses and most anything without a pattern. Now me, I need a pattern! for clothing anyway.

ube quilting 04-26-2017 10:31 AM

Patterns are a great starting point and can make quilting fun and easy, help learn basic skills and change them up and grow your own creativity.

I love patterns.

MadQuilter 04-26-2017 10:51 AM

Good for you. See, one is never too old to learn new skills. Now that you can do both (with and without pattern) I bet you will use the method that works best for you.