Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Must be a new phone scam. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/must-new-phone-scam-t288394.html)

dluvs2quilt 05-20-2017 12:34 PM

Must be a new phone scam.

Not sure if this is new or not. But I received a phone call today and I read it as a local call and when I answered it it was spam so I hung up. Is this something new or has it been around? This has also happened at work where it was a local call. But it ended up being spam. The numbers must be rerouted?

Stitchnripper 05-20-2017 12:49 PM

We have now begun to get calls from our old area code, since we have moved. If I answer and say hello and someone doesn't respond immediately, I hang up. We don't answer from area codes we don't recognize. If it is a real person they can leave a message. We have cell phones only, no house phone since we moved.

M.Elizabeth 05-20-2017 12:55 PM

We have also received "local" calls within our area code, only to turn out to be spam. People who do this type of thing must not have a life!

osewme 05-20-2017 12:56 PM

Yes, I'm getting those also. I don't answer anything that I don't recognize or already have programmed in my phone as a contact. Anyone who is not a contact can leave a message. I got a message the other day that said since I stayed in their hotel recently I have won a cruise. Well let me tell you .... the last time I stayed in any hotel/motel was about 30 years ago!

GingerK 05-20-2017 01:07 PM

I really had to laugh when I got a spam call from my own number!! Yep that's what showed up as caller ID.

marge954 05-20-2017 01:11 PM

I also got spam that showed up as my own phone number! Direct Tv has been trying to get us back for two years now. They have recently resorted to calling us on numbers that come up with our area code and the name of the city/area we live in. I have an answering machine so I don't pick up the phone unless I recognize the number.

toverly 05-20-2017 02:05 PM

Ever since my home number became my cell number and we got rid of our land line, I have gotten calls from "home" on my cell phone. Same number. I don't answer anything from someone I don't know. They have to leave a message if they want to talk to me.

NJ Quilter 05-20-2017 02:12 PM

This is just one more tool in the telemarketers handbooks. They can 'spoof' any number they want because so many folks screen calls now for the very reason they themselves have created. Just hang up.

nativetexan 05-20-2017 02:31 PM

I won a stay at a marriott hotel where i've stayed before. only never been in one! I could go on and on. Most come from Colorado area codes or 800 ones.
Oops. Ohsewme, me too!!!!

Deb watkins 05-20-2017 03:10 PM

The latest one I got was from the electric company calling to discuss the excess charges that were made on my bill, and they have been trying to get in touch with me for over a week. Uh huh....