Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Selling Your Babys...What are the Best Venues? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/selling-your-babys-what-best-venues-t289076.html)

tropit 06-19-2017 01:06 PM

Selling Your Babys...What are the Best Venues?

Where does one sell vintage machines? I know about Ebay and Craigs List, but are there other venues out there?
~ C

bearisgray 06-19-2017 01:08 PM

I don't have many machines - but I will also have this issue soon.

I am looking forward to responses.

cashs_mom 06-19-2017 01:10 PM

Other than contacting some quilt or sewing guilds in your area, I don't know where else you could sell them, but I wish you luck.

Jane Quilter 06-19-2017 01:10 PM

How about renting a booth in an antique mall with high traffic.

maudeflanagan 06-20-2017 03:24 AM

There are also apps like Letgo, Offerup, and 5Miles that you can use to sell things. Are they high value machines? If that is the case, I would try to go with eBay because of the larger audience and the seller protections. High dollar face to face meetups would worry me. There is also a classifieds section on Sewingpatternreview. There are machines for sale there too.

JediMom 06-20-2017 03:51 AM

I've sold my reconditioned VSMs through Craigslist. Unless a treadle or a heavy sewing desk is involved, I will meet a buyer at a public location. Many police stations now allow people to meet up there for CL transactions. I will take my hubby or my daughter with me as well.

If you are on Facebook, they now have a marketplace section. I would apply the same principles, though.

tropit 06-20-2017 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by JediMom (Post 7847690)
I've sold my reconditioned VSMs through Craigslist. Unless a treadle or a heavy sewing desk is involved, I will meet a buyer at a public location. Many police stations now allow people to meet up there for CL transactions. I will take my hubby or my daughter with me as well.

If you are on Facebook, they now have a marketplace section. I would apply the same principles, though.

Wow...I never thought of meeting at a police station. Good safety tip!

~ C

tropit 06-20-2017 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7847337)
How about renting a booth in an antique mall with high traffic.

Thanks for the tip. I've thought of that. There is a large antiques faire a couple hours away from us...the Alameda Antiques Faire. They meet once a month and have a huge number of buyers that pass through. I don't know what the cost is to set up...probably pretty high. We don't have any antiques malls locally.

~ C

RotaryQueen 06-20-2017 06:51 PM

There is a yahoo group "SewItsForSale". It seems to have a wide membership, and you must request to join. You also must follow the rules, but it is entirely listings for sewing related items, either for sale or in search of.

My public library is a great place to meet CL buyers. There are power outlets in the outdoor seating area or in the study rooms.

JediMom 06-21-2017 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by RotaryQueen (Post 7848206)
There is a yahoo group "SewItsForSale". It seems to have a wide membership, and you must request to join. You also must follow the rules, but it is entirely listings for sewing related items, either for sale or in search of.

My public library is a great place to meet CL buyers. There are power outlets in the outdoor seating area or in the study rooms.

The library is a great meeting place too. Thanks for the idea!