Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   1965 Singer 411G in original treadle spec: ) Rare?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/1965-singer-411g-original-treadle-spec-rare-t289737.html)

Olik 07-19-2017 07:13 AM

1965 Singer 411G in original treadle spec: ) Rare??

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576799[/ATTACH]
Recent find here in UK. A 411G in original treadle spec in an Italian cabinet.

Has the different treadle balance wheel, no motor to drag, with belt groove and all the original parts/accessories. Including the chain-stitch throat plate & appropriate 503602 bobbin case.... And belt guard.

I didn't fully understand what I'd bought for a while. A 411G with no motor in a lovely Italian (Milano) treadle cabinet?? (I do have other slants: )

Here it is anyway. Can't be many people who would have bought a 411 with treadle spec in 1965??
So must be super rare?

Only trouble is that I cannot get my long legs under the body to treadle efficiently: (
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576802[/ATTACH]
I know lots of people do convert these 411s (& others) to Treadle but mine appears to be the orginal Singer specced model & therefore may be interesting here?

A most lovely machine in any case: )

bkay 07-19-2017 08:05 AM

What a neat find! It appears to be in beautiful condition. That's a treadle I could like. Do the built in zig-zag cams work?

Where does the belt go? There don't appear to be any holes anywhere...

bkay

Macybaby 07-19-2017 08:46 AM

They are very rare in the USA, since they were made in Germany. Not sure about the UK.

Bkay - the belt is under the belt gaurd. Is really neat to see one that is in a treadle, that is one I'd find a way to fit into my collection if I came across one!

leonf 07-19-2017 08:51 AM

OH , Thanks Macybaby, I was right there with bkay. I'm stunned to know this was made anywhere.

leonf 07-19-2017 08:54 AM

OH , Thanks Macybaby, I was right there with bkay. I'm stunned to know this was made anywhere.

olik have you considered making a riser for the entire cabinet? You could set it on books to figure out the height.

bkay 07-19-2017 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by leonf (Post 7866693)
olik have you considered making a riser for the entire cabinet? You could set it on books to figure out the height.

Leon, I don't think that would help. It would not change the distance between the treadle and the sewing machine. It would only raise it. The amount of space for the legs would remain the same, only higher.

bkay

Mickey2 07-20-2017 04:08 AM

1965 is the latest I have seen, at least if it can be confirmed, and the first Singer of this late date. I have suspected a few of the Bernina treadle cabinet I have seen have been late 50s. They are few and far between, but the odd zwing arm ziggzagger with various stitch selection features turn up. I know treadles were made most of the 1950s, but not a late as 1965.

tessagin 07-20-2017 05:54 AM

The top of the cabinet looks like glass!! Beautiful.

miriam 07-25-2017 07:50 PM

Yes rare. I have an electric like it so it is neat to see one set up to treadle. I'd like to see a close up of it with that front belt guard removed. What does the upper front look like where the belt goes inside? What do the chain stitching parts look like? Did you try chain stitching?

Olik 08-11-2017 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7871572)
Yes rare. I have an electric like it so it is neat to see one set up to treadle. I'd like to see a close up of it with that front belt guard removed. What does the upper front look like where the belt goes inside? What do the chain stitching parts look like? Did you try chain stitching?

Hi all! I wasn't getting updates on answers to my original post so wasn't aware of the interest. Sorry about that, but I know now: )

Miriam, I will take some pics of the areas you asked for & post them shortly. As for chaining it works as it should. You need the appropriate throat plate of course, (503599) & the correct (hooked) 'bobbin case.' (503602)

As for raising it to fit my long legs, I don't think I can alter the cabinet to raise the table as you can on the traditional cast iron treadle base. I'm quite frustrated by that!! The cabinet is Italian made & quite beautiful to my eye. I've got some more details on my website here, if anyone is interested. A good few other interesting SMs also on there. And a contacts page, & if I can help in any way I certainly will: )

I love the slants & have ca 7 currently. Pity the 431s can't treadle....

Today I'm working on a very nice 319K, but will check this thread regularly from now on: )

Keep treadling.
John, in UK.