Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Spoofed phone numbers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/spoofed-phone-numbers-t291005.html)

Pam S 09-06-2017 01:07 PM

Spoofed phone numbers

Like everybody else in this country, I am getting tired of getting those robocalls from Rachael at Card Services or Heather from Cruise Something or other that look like local numbers but are spoofed. Don't answer them most of the time if I don't know the number but occasionally I'll think it's legit and pick up. Then I immediately hang up when I realize what it is. But it happens so many times a day, it drives me crazy.
I just got a call from someone who insisted I had just called him. Well I was taking a nap and my cell phone was on the table next to the couch so I know I didn't call him. He didn't know what "spoofing" was so I had a hard time convincing him that I hadn't called him but someone is using my number to spoof calls. And there is nothing we can do about this. Grr, I am so mad.

lynnie 09-06-2017 01:11 PM

I too, like most people , hat them. even if you're on a no call list, it doesn't work. I heard of you listen to their 5 minute speech, if you hit #2, it takes you off the list, but who wants to be tired up that long.

NatalieF 09-06-2017 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7901545)
I heard of you listen to their 5 minute speech, if you hit #2, it takes you off the list, but who wants to be tired up that long.

Actually, I heard that does not work, unfortunately. I think it just proves that you're willing to stay on the line. :/

KLO 09-06-2017 04:10 PM

Pam S, That is so weird because I just had that happen to me today also. I was just getting ready to eat lunch and a call came in on my cell phone. I didn't recognize it but answered it anyway and the lady told me to stop calling her and take me off my contacts. I asked her who she was and she just repeated the same thing again. Wish I had thought to tell her that I did not have her phone number in my contacts and that I had not called her. I hardly ever use the phone to call anyone so very weird experience. Now I am thinking the same as you. I really hate this happening and now I am mad also.

Jingle 09-06-2017 05:20 PM

We got three phone calls today with local numbers. There is never a name, so I don't answer, answering machine picks up. They never leave a message so I know they are not for me.

Anniedeb 09-06-2017 06:40 PM

Hate those calls also! We've gotten calls from ourselves! I always look at caller ID, and had to ask my DH why he was calling...our name and our number shows up! Didn't answer, and blocked it!

Sandra in Minnesota 09-06-2017 06:48 PM

People have finally found a way to abuse the telephone!! Hate those calls.

Gerbie 09-07-2017 03:02 AM

I too hate those calls, and since they have found a way to use them with come of our local cell phone prefixes, one is not always sure. I let them go to the answering machine also. If I receive calls on my cell, I don't answer unknown numbers. If I'm home and get one, sometimes I pick up and just begin hitting the # sign or the number nine, I have heard that the 9 messes up their computer for a while. I don't know if it works or not, but it makes me feel better. lol

Candy Apple Quilts 09-07-2017 03:10 AM

Drives me crazy when they use local numbers like that, especially when they call my cell phone. I use it for business, so I don't like to leave it unanswered, but it really disrupts my "quilting karma", if you know what I mean....

celwood 09-07-2017 04:19 AM

I get about 10 calls a day. Some from my "grandson" who is in jail and needs bail money. I play along with the "grandson" calls until the callers get frustrated with me and hang up. The national and state do not call lists are a joke. Something has to be done about these calls. About a year ago I had people calling me as late as 2:00AM. Drove me crazy