Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another Cutting board question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-cutting-board-question-t291335.html)

Penster 09-20-2017 05:34 PM

Another Cutting board question

Over Labor Day weekend, I was able to find the Martelli cutting mat on sale at 50% off, so I indulged and got the largest they had (which I think is 30 x 60). Their promo material indicates you can iron on it..in fact they recommend you do so, as it keeps it flat. I wrote an e mail to the company asking if I could use it as an ironing board on a regular basis...they referred me to their video which advertises that it can be ironed on with no problem...just have a piece of material that you are ironing on, do not iron directly on the mat because it will melt. (But they will not put it in writing, which I find interesting.)
I very much want to use this as my primary cutting/ironing station. Oh how convenient it will be!!! But before i do this, I want to know if anyone out there has also done this with success. Please chime in and tell me your ironing experiences on your Martelli mat!
Thanks!!!

wesing 09-20-2017 05:59 PM

I have done occasional ironing on my Martelli mat with no bad results, but I have not done it regularly or over an extended period of time.

ladeg 09-20-2017 06:17 PM

When I spoke to Martelli, I was told that if I did iron on it I should iron the whole board so that it would not get warped. Also use a cloth.

QuiltnNan 09-21-2017 03:01 AM

wow, this is interesting to know

toverly 09-21-2017 03:36 AM

I always thought it was good for occasional pressing but not as an all the time ironing board.

SusieQOH 09-21-2017 04:52 AM

Penster- is that the one that rotates? I want one of those things!

Jingle 09-21-2017 05:42 PM

I have a fiskars cutting mat. I keep it flat on my cutting table. I have an ironing mat and I iron on that. I would not risk ironing on a mat of any kind.

equigle5 09-21-2017 05:48 PM

I bought one of the Martello tables at a local quilt festival. They said you can iron on the board with cloth underneath but to get the optional iron board top for routine frequent ironing. The thing I didn't like about the cutting mat is it dulled my cutting blades. I had to go and get an Olfa cutting board to replace it. I did buy the ironing board top and use it occasionally.

AVFD215 09-21-2017 07:15 PM

I have never ironed on a cutting mat. Not sure if I would be comfortable even with a Martella mat.
I did make an ironing mat for a DD for her to use on her kitchen island.
Mike

mhollifiel 09-22-2017 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by equigle5 (Post 7910914)
I bought one of the Martello tables at a local quilt festival. They said you can iron on the board with cloth underneath but to get the optional iron board top for routine frequent ironing. The thing I didn't like about the cutting mat is it dulled my cutting blades. I had to go and get an Olfa cutting board to replace it. I did buy the ironing board top and use it occasionally.

I have found the opposite to be true. Interesting. I am gradually replacing all my cutting mats with the Martelli as they clearly make my blades last longer! I also have the rotating cutting mat with ironing pad and just love it as well. I do use the Martelli rotary cutters but my older rotary cutters, though I use them less frequently, also seem to love the Martelli mats.