Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice please for type of glue to hold pom pom in center of yo-yo. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-please-type-glue-hold-pom-pom-center-yo-yo-t291389.html)

copycat 09-23-2017 04:14 AM

Advice please for type of glue to hold pom pom in center of yo-yo.

1 Attachment(s)
In the photo you will see a tiny yellow pom pom that fits in the center of the yo-yo. I thought about placing a tiny bit of fabric glue to hold the pom pom down. Have any of you had experience with using fabric glue and can advise me on what brand you have used with success? As always, thanks for your help.

QuiltnNan 09-23-2017 05:20 AM

I don't think I'd use glue. Baby quilts are washed frequently and I don't think any fabric glue will hold up over time. Also, they can be 'stiff' and might scratch.

SusieQOH 09-23-2017 05:23 AM

I don't have advice but I love how you put the yo-yos in it. So cute!

Just thought of something- why not just sew a little circle over it instead of the pom-pom? I was thinking a pompom may not be the best choice for a baby.

calla 09-23-2017 05:31 AM

Why is it necessary ? And as was said, it will be washed frequently ........

Irishrose2 09-23-2017 06:50 AM

I like something in the center of my yo-yos, too. If fabric glue holds appliques on, it will certainly hold a little pompom. I used Allene's, but I'm sure there are other brands. I would use a decent amount as you do want the pompom to stay put. The yo-yos look adorable.

elnan 09-23-2017 07:15 AM

How about a very small crosshatching with a gold tint to the thread, just over the little yellow pompom.

While you're looking into glue, don't overlook the ones by Roxanne. Do you envision this quilt as a wall-hanging or something to be cuddled and loved to pieces.

yngldy 09-23-2017 05:52 PM

Aleene's OK to wash it, or Jewel it would work fine. I have used both on several washable items, it has been years with very frequent washings, and the projects are still intact. Just make sure you give it a couple days to dry and set before you wash it.

copycat 09-24-2017 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by elnan (Post 7911858)
How about a very small crosshatching with a gold tint to the thread, just over the little yellow pompom.

While you're looking into glue, don't overlook the ones by Roxanne. Do you envision this quilt as a wall-hanging or something to be cuddled and loved to pieces.

Thanks everyone for your input. :) This is not a Baby Quilt. It is for a Bee Keeper couple whose honey I enjoy! ;) They are building a new home, and moving their bee hives with them so it will be a New Home Gift.

To answer your ?: Do I envision this to be a wall hanging or something to be cuddled and loved to pieces?

This quilt has a wonderful cuddle-factor due to the Hobbs Poly Down Batting I used. When the quilt is done, I will post a photo of the whole quilt and you will see the Bee-Hives I quilted, along with Large Flowers.

Becky's Crafts 09-24-2017 05:55 PM

I recently purchased a product from Aleene's called, "Fabric Fusion". It doesn't make the fabric stiff, but holds really well and dries clear. I used it on a tree skirt to add glitter. Very impressed with it and it's supposed to be permanent.

jokir44 09-24-2017 06:49 PM

If you could find the center of the pompom you could sew down the yarn that holds the short strands possibly. Or try a bead and run the thread from both sides to the back a few times.