Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My expectations about swaps - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-expectations-about-swaps-t292054.html)

bearisgray 10-22-2017 07:25 AM

My expectations about swaps -

I did do swaps for a while.

As has been mentioned in the rules/guidelines of the swap section, send what you would like to receive.

I think these expectations are reasonable:

1) That the colors listed should be the colors used.

I am aware of one swap where the colors listed were red, green, gold/yellow, and white. Someone came along and said - "Oh, I did not read the guidelines, and made my blocks in blue and yellow." (The blocks were pretty and nicely done, but did not go well with the other blocks.) Another instance was blue and yellow - I received a block made with blue background fabric with pink roses.

2) That the size should be very close to the expected size.

I know one can "improvise" - but how many newbies/beginners are even going to think about checking the dimensions? or what to do if the blocks are not the same size? I considered myself an "advanced beginner" - but it did not occur to me to check to see if all the blocks were close to the same size until I had them laid out and I was about 1-1/2 inches off in one row.

Jane Quilter 10-22-2017 07:51 AM

Sorry you've had such bad experiences in the past. I have participated in too many great swaps on this quilting board to have that be my conclusion. Off the board, you are spot on, and I too have been burned, badly. But on the board, the members make a great effort at accuracy, maybe it is the widespread use of great tools like the cutting die machines. And they make a great effort at color adherence, and count. I've also noticed when someone is displeased with what they got because the fabric was not to code such as color , size, type, there is a great scramble to "make it right" between members. I don't know if this is because of the threat of negative feedback on the board, or because we are all good friends on the board and want to treat each other as good friends and not as anonymous recipients. I also give great credit to the swap leaders, who work hard and have to deal with these issues in a loving manner, and they are very successful. I guess you can tell, I love to swap, trade, and donate with my friends on this board, and I hope you will jump in and try again. We would love to include you.....Jane Quilter

Doggramma 10-22-2017 08:05 AM

We do block exchanges at our monthly modern guild meeting. There are always some that don't conform to the guidelines usually with color or fabric choices. I've stopped participating because I don't want to use the odd blocks in a quilt. Making a quilt with the blocks is required.

SusieQOH 10-22-2017 08:52 AM

I've never done a swap but from what I've read they seem satisfying on the board.
I have a couple of hangups about them. One is that my block won't be good enough
and two, that I'm picky about fabric.
So I guess I'm not a good candidate!

Sandra-P 10-22-2017 09:08 AM

I have participated in a couple of swaps and decided that they are not my cup of tea.

Tartan 10-22-2017 09:28 AM

I don't do swaps because the blocks are never all the same size. I am not being critical of others skills, all machines sew a different 1/4 inch. If you are up to the challenge of designing around size and fabric differences, then go for it.

bearisgray 10-22-2017 09:42 AM

For me, it's like going to a restaurant - if I order a pork chop and the server brings chicken - even though the chicken may be delicious - it was not what I ordered and was expecting to get.

bearisgray 10-22-2017 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7929426)
Sorry you've had such bad experiences in the past. I have participated in too many great swaps on this quilting board to have that be my conclusion. Off the board, you are spot on, and I too have been burned, badly. But on the board, the members make a great effort at accuracy, maybe it is the widespread use of great tools like the cutting die machines. And they make a great effort at color adherence, and count. I've also noticed when someone is displeased with what they got because the fabric was not to code such as color , size, type, there is a great scramble to "make it right" between members. I don't know if this is because of the threat of negative feedback on the board, or because we are all good friends on the board and want to treat each other as good friends and not as anonymous recipients. I also give great credit to the swap leaders, who work hard and have to deal with these issues in a loving manner, and they are very successful. I guess you can tell, I love to swap, trade, and donate with my friends on this board, and I hope you will jump in and try again. We would love to include you.....Jane Quilter

Thank you for the invitation - but for now - I think I will pass.

JenniePenny 10-22-2017 09:51 AM

I don't participate in swaps. My reason is different than the reasons already mentioned. I have had the experience of not being acknowledged when my item was received in the mail by my partner. My best quilting friend has also had this experience. Ironically, both our partners (at different times) were the swap hostess! Yes, there was tracking data to prove our packages had been received, and there was the partner, on the board chatting happily about her storage container solutions or making something for her mother in law, but no PM or public post about just getting the items from me or my friend.

kristijoy 10-22-2017 10:27 AM

I've participated in a few swaps on the board ad I think for me it's more about sharing the experience with others (as a social experience) rather than the final outcome. I find also that it helps me expand my horizons and 'get-out-of-a-rut'! I received some gorgeous blocks that contained a variety of black fabrics...I don't quilt much with black, but having these new blocks gave me the nod to experiment and I love how it's turning out. Don't think I would've gone that way myself, but with friends yes!!!