Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Treadle Machine and sewing leather (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/treadle-machine-sewing-leather-t292083.html)

yobrosew 10-22-2017 06:01 PM

Treadle Machine and sewing leather

Have White Rotary Treadle. Anyone sew leather on their treadle? Want to make some dufflebags. Most of the assemble can be handsewn but the zipper and couple of pieces need to be sewn. One area two pieces of leather being sewn together.

quiltingcandy 10-22-2017 06:38 PM

I have not done it personally but I do know that the man that lived across the street from my grandmother used to borrow her Singer treadle to sew leather items. She wanted to give it to him, but thought I might want it some day so she kept it.

cashs_mom 10-22-2017 07:59 PM

Treadles will sew a lot of tough stuff. My mother used my grandmother's to mend my winter horse blankets and make custom saddle pads for me.

Mickey2 10-23-2017 03:16 AM

I don't think the treadle part is the problem, I'm thinking of treadle industrials, treadle cobblers... They are probably extra sturdily made but so are all the old cast iron setups.

Soft leater is usually not a problem, most good sewing machines can handle it. There's leather tip needles, but a large size sharp tip needle often works just as well. I would give your machine a try.

RosMadeMe 10-23-2017 03:28 AM

The issue will be the needle, you will need a triangular leather needle which will pierce the leather rather than a conventional sharp tipped needle a then you will be fine.

miriam 10-23-2017 03:35 AM

The issues will be thread weight, needle size and thickness of your leather. You can make tension adjustments to accommodate the thicker threads and buy the correct size leather needle to match your thread. I put a hand crank on a very old Singer 15 to sew leather - it worked but I was worn out. If you do much leather sewing an old walking foot or needle feed industrial would be the way to go.

yobrosew 10-23-2017 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7929816)
I have not done it personally but I do know that the man that lived across the street from my grandmother used to borrow her Singer treadle to sew leather items. She wanted to give it to him, but thought I might want it some day so she kept it.

Thanks. Did you end up with the machine after all?

yobrosew 10-23-2017 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 7929867)
Treadles will sew a lot of tough stuff. My mother used my grandmother's to mend my winter horse blankets and make custom saddle pads for me.

Thnks! Your mom sounds special!

yobrosew 10-23-2017 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7929959)
The issues will be thread weight, needle size and thickness of your leather. You can make tension adjustments to accommodate the thicker threads and buy the correct size leather needle to match your thread. I put a hand crank on a very old Singer 15 to sew leather - it worked but I was worn out. If you do much leather sewing an old walking foot or needle feed industrial would be the way to go.

I was wondering since I saw some really cool duffle bags, all leather, that looked pretty simple to make and would not cost me anywhere near the $700-1200 price tags! I have a bunch of sons and thought would be cool gifts for them. Then got thinking maybe handsewn purses for the daughters. I really only would need the zippers sewn as could do rest with handstitching (not as hard as sounds) and could probably have done by local shoe repair guy. Thanks for the input!

yobrosew 10-23-2017 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by RosMadeMe (Post 7929957)
The issue will be the needle, you will need a triangular leather needle which will pierce the leather rather than a conventional sharp tipped needle a then you will be fine.

Never realized something such as a triangular needle. Thanks.