Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Changes at Joann's Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/changes-joanns-fabric-t292349.html)

Jo Anne B. 11-04-2017 10:22 AM

Changes at Joann's Fabric

Purchased a pack of Olfa blades yesterday, the Olfa blades and other items are now under a theft deterrent device requiring a Team member assistance to remove from the display.
Sad to see theft has become such a problem.
The team member informed me that Black Friday is the worst day of the year for shoplifting. Again, Sad to hear this type of news.

Jane Quilter 11-04-2017 10:32 AM

So sad. What is the world coming to? But, on the plus side, maybe I'll find some available to buy when there is a coupon flurry. I have often wondered if JoAnns removed them from the display when there was a great sale. Now I know, it was just a high theft item. I hope finding a team member is not harder than finding the product.

Jo Anne B. 11-04-2017 11:10 AM

Jane Quilter, Joann's is having Doorbuster specials this week end while offering a 25% off total purchase coupon. I was able to purchase the blades and a new Olfa mat, both on sale 30% and use the the 25% coupon. It was a busy place yesterday.
I received a mailer with multiple coupons for this and next week end. The coupons are out there.

Snooze2978 11-04-2017 11:58 AM

It used to just be the big cities that had this problem but I live in a small town and our Walmart now has the door person check everyone going out with merchandise. I've gotten so used to it that I automatically have my receipt in hand when I go near the door. Saves time. Its a sad, sad world we live in.

nativetexan 11-04-2017 12:29 PM

I thought the commercial with a man trying to buy razor blades for his razor so funny. Everything was locked! but this is reality now!

QuiltE 11-04-2017 01:31 PM

Is it theft that is the concern?
........... or the potential of it being a weapon?

Michael's keep rotary blades locked up too.

quilt1950 11-04-2017 02:31 PM

My local Joanns also has all the sewing machine needles locked up. One day someone stole all the needles and Gutermann thread. I can't believe that someone did not see them loading up on the thread. It's a big display on the way to the back of the store. The needles I believe - that aisle is more isolated.

Garden Gnome 11-04-2017 04:40 PM

This kind of makes you wonder, when we find a real good price on an item at a flea market or garage sale, if it has recently been stolen from a brick and mortar store.

Evie 11-04-2017 04:57 PM

Not just sharp items. Because of theft, our local Ralphs (Krogers) now has all Tide products and coffee under lock and key. A real hassle when it's an item you want, so I go elsewhere for those things.

Jo Anne B. 11-04-2017 05:01 PM

QuiltE if I understood the Team member correctly it was to prevent theft. What I didn't understand the gal handed the package of blades to me so I could go to the cashier counter, but in reality if a person wanted they could pocketed the goods then and walk right by the cashiers. Their are kinks in the system...
Snooze2978, I live in a growing community, suburb to a suburb shortly, after our Walmart opened they started checking receipts at the door, from my understanding it is only required if you have "un-sacked" items.
quilt 1950, the team member also told me that one of the Huskyvarna's(sp) sewing machines was shoplifted on a Black Friday a couple of years ago. This is the first I have seen any theft deterrent mechanisms at my Joann's. I am hearing more and more of theft problems. Like I said before Sad that theft has become bigger problem.