Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machines that have a dual feed feature?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machines-have-dual-feed-feature-t292942.html)

pewa88 11-29-2017 09:45 AM

Machines that have a dual feed feature??

I am interested in researching machines that have a dual feed feature. I know about Pfaff as I have the 7530 and love it. There are so many choices in machines today I would like input from the forum members. TIA

peaceandjoy 11-29-2017 10:21 AM

Berninas do, starting at with some of the 500-series models.

rryder 11-29-2017 10:40 AM

I think some of the high end Janome models do as well.

rob

Sewnoma 11-29-2017 10:45 AM

Yes - Janome calls it "Acufeed" or "Acufeed flex" - I'm not clear on the difference between the two. My 6600 has it; I expect most machines "higher" than that one will have it. (The 6500 does not)

Jo Anne B. 11-29-2017 12:27 PM

I have a Pfaff and love the IDT. I find it somewhat distracting to use a removable walking foot on my vintage Singer. I did test drive a Janome 9400 which has a wider feed dog system that I liked well enough to seriously consider purchasing when the Pfaff dies.

Dolphyngyrl 11-29-2017 01:18 PM

Mine on my brother is a separate attachment but it is my favorite foot despite its size it is a beast

JustAbitCrazy 11-29-2017 01:46 PM

Some Babylocks have it, too. I bought a Babylock Serenade a few years ago, and it has dual feed dogs. After piecing with a Pfaff prior to that purchase, I swore I'd never do without dual feed dogs again. The Serenade has a knee lift and thread cutter which my Pfaff doesn't, which is why I bought it.

I had a separate attachment for a top feed dog for my old Kenmore, but its so huge. The Pfaff and Serenade have the top feed dog built in, it's small, and fits inside most of the other feet. Those big clunky attachments can't be used in conjunction with other feet at all.

GEMRM 11-29-2017 01:54 PM

I have an Elna 740 and it has a dual feed feature that you can engage by using the dual feed foot and engaging a piece that's on the upper level. It comes from behind the needle to attach and it engages easily and works well.
What I don't like about it is that you have to attach/detach special feet to use the dual feed which makes the easy change foot option of the regular foot clamp not usable - if that makes sense to you?
To use the dual feed feature, you remove the regular piece that screws to the needle bar and replace it with a one piece foot that is either a "regular" foot with an open mouth so you can use straight or zig zag or decorative stitches, or a quarter inch or stitch in the ditch foot.

GingerK 11-29-2017 01:59 PM

My Pfaff 5.0 has IDT and I adore it. My Janomes do not have that feature and I found myself leaving the walking foot on most of the time--even for piecing. It gave the same effect.

suern3 11-29-2017 03:52 PM

I have the Pfaff 4.2 which has IDT, knee lift and automatic cut off. It does it all:) IMHO I don't use the knee lift since it automatically lowers or raises the presser foot when you use on the foot control.