Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Attention Retired Quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/attention-retired-quilters-t293050.html)

Crispy_Frog 12-04-2017 10:55 AM

Attention Retired Quilters

I'd like to direct this post to quilters who are lucky enough to be retired now. I've been hoarding fabric and patterns and kits, waiting for the day I have time to quilt. Tell me the truth on the subject:

1. Can you keep your sewing area clean and organized after you retire?
2. Can you put together Large blocks of time to quilt?
3. Do you actually use up your stash and happily keep from spending retirement funds?
4. Or, does your stash bore you and you keep right on shopping?
5. Are the floor-to-ceiling stacks of magazines being utilized like you intended?
6. Are you able to take the classes, or go to the Sit and Sews like you planned?

I'm getting ready to retire in 6 months and I'm always too tired at the end of the day to quilt. I am distracted at work daydreaming about staying at home with some music on and just humming along while I sew. Looking out the window past the sewing machine at the birds in the bird feeder and the butterflies in the garden. (All of which need to be planned and assembled!)

Tell the truth--- is it possible for my dreams to come true?

cjackaitlin 12-04-2017 11:03 AM

To be honest, you don't have time some days to sew. Life get in the way, people, friends, and the like are after you all the time. The senior centers is a fun place to go to. Some days you are too tired to sew. But make the most of you day. And enjoy the rest of your life. Been retired for 8 years now and I still don't sew every day, even when I try. Mary

QuiltingNinaSue 12-04-2017 11:19 AM

Yes, Crispy_Frog, it is everything you hope for and more. We have been retired for 12 years now, built a one floor no stairs, 2 handicap bathrooms, a his and her bedrooms, a guest room and sewing room. Living room and dining room combined and short baking wall separates it from the large kitchen with an island. My stash flows over into the guest room a bit, but most of it is in the sewing room. I have purchased one new machine and sewing stands for each machine in the sewing room. I can embroidery with that machine, serge with the serger, or sew on one of two machines. I set aside days on the calendar that says I sew all day on those days.

With new friends, I go on the all Iowa shop hop in June every year. See new ideas and things and sometimes buy a few things. One store is closing down near by and we have hit it twice now. Medical trips to Des Moines, Iowa, means we have an excuse to include a few quilt shops with our journey from North Central Missouri homestead. I shop on line on some occasions, but enjoy trips with others who quilt. I try to finish from 8 to 12 quilts a year. I have given up on some fabric acquired before retirement and given it to charitable groups, but I have made up most of it. I don not enter fair or quilt contests, but new friends do and win prizes.

My dh and I keep a large calendar on the wall, so we know what is planned one each day. It fills up all too soon on some months, others gives more freedom of our choice on what we do that day. Never miss our jobs, just friends. We find time to relax and pursuit our 'hobbies'. May you find your way, too.

Make any big purchase while you are still working; its easier than trying to buy it in retirement. Always keep goals in mind to work toward for your happiness.

Sew Freak 12-04-2017 11:52 AM

Sorry for this post....it got double with me hitting something wrong!

Sync 12-04-2017 11:53 AM

Crispy Frog, first congrats on getting closer to retirement. I've been fully retired for 3 years now. Here's my answers to your questions ........ 1. Since my sewing area is my dining room it does periodically gets clean, if I'm working on a quilt with a deadline or Bonnie's mystery ...... well lets just say hubby & I go out to eat ..... ;) 2. yes, I can and do put together large blocks of time, also since I do hand applique & hand quilt I can sew while keeping hubby company while he watches TV. 3 & 4. yes & no ...... :D while I do use my stash, there are still times when I need to add fabric, tools, supplies. My stash doesn't bore me at all. 5. I have organized my magazines into binders which I go through frequently. In fact, at this moment, I'm working on a baby quilt from one of the older Quiltmaker patterns I have saved. 6. yes, yes, yes, although I don't go to many classes, I have a nice library of Craftsy classes and I go to a monthly sit n' sew at my LQS (which I can walk to)

Have fun with your retirement.

Jingle 12-04-2017 11:54 AM

I sew 4-5 hours per day 5-6 days per week.
I don't go to classes.
I don't babysit, youngest DGS is 15.
I have a huge stash, trying to use it up.
I am now making scrappy quilts
I donate quilts to kids in foster care.
My time is pretty much spent however I want.

quiltingshe 12-04-2017 11:59 AM

It hasn't worked out for me. I find that other things seem to take up my time and I have to work hard to squeeze in time to sew. Kids, grandkids, church, helping other people and other hobbies take up lots of time. I don't know how I every had time to work, and yet I think I got more sewing done then than I do now. I still do some garment sewing as well as quilting. My biggest problem is getting quilts quilted. I have 9 pieced tops in the cupboard right now and want to start another one.

I wish you luck on your dream in retirement.

Sew Freak 12-04-2017 12:01 PM

I would say Yes!!! #1 - did you ever hear things like 'a place for everything and everything in its place!' While I haven't mastered that yet I diligently try to put things away once when I am done using them. (Hard to do but not impossible) Or.....'put things back in their place where they belong!' Somewhat hard to do if you've just rearranged your room to be more user friendly...this one is really important!!!....know why???? When you need that particular item next time guess what??????----you know where it's at!!!!!!!!! I know....crazy huh????!!!!!!!! Again, hard at times but not impossible! Trust me on this one - it is a habit that needs to be honed....but once you get used to it it becomes second nature. #2 I can set apart 3-4hrs. a day to quilt/sew mainly because as far as I'm concerned there isn't much on TV to watch. (however....Nothing comes between me and Gibbs!!!) I did have DH make me a small sewing table to setup in the TV room for the maybe 3 or 4 programs I might watch but for the most part I get movies from the library and watch them in my SR while I sew. #3 I have been working hard to use up my stash!!! But then there are always things I want to sew that I have to buy material for. Last week when JA had their Keepsake calico on sale I got about another 10yds. of things I have been waiting for a sale on. I would like to tell you I think I am set for a while which is almost true....but I think we all know....well....nevermind!!! LOL! #4 not an issue....at least not that I've noticed. #5 No....I have around 60 books and I Refuse to buy more....so far so good on that one!! #6 I haven't taken any classes, don't know if I will....but they have 'open sewing' days at the quilt shop near me I'd like to attend if not before the holidays then for sure in Jan. (just too busy right now). Once you get started with your retired time things will fall into place...don't forget you won't be working so you might not get as tired as you think.

Stitchnripper 12-04-2017 12:19 PM

I am retired for about 13 years. Before we moved to this house in a different state I had no good place to quilt. We kept a guest room because guests came and I didn't want to keep putting things away. Tried Sharing computer room with Mr stitchnripper but neither one of us liked that. I took over the dining room for a while but didn't like that either. I told Mr s that if we stayed in former state we would need different house. We moved here 2 years ago and I have a dedicated quilting room that I enjoy a lot. But there is so much to do here that while I quilt more I don't put in hours a day. Quilting is just one of the things I enjoy. I go to the quilt shop close by on Fridays and sew with some really nice women. I can keep my room clean. I don't have a stash. I can afford to buy what I want but don't want much. Lots of the women give me scraps so I can enjoy making scrap quilts. I take classes at the shop sometimes. All enjoyable but so are the other things I do. Do not have floor to ceiling stacks of books and magazines.

Maggie_Sue 12-04-2017 12:29 PM

I have been retired now two months tomorrow and it is way better than I expected. I dearly miss my friends and boss from work, but have had some social times so that has sufficed!!!
#1 I have managed to keep my sewing room organized, ( one of my goals when I retired.)
#2 I am free to sew when I feel like sewing which pleases me greatly.
#3 Several years before I retired I was on a mission to accumulate fabric and kits and I am happily using them getting just what I need when I need it.
#4 Not at all bored with stash, and getting just what I need.
#5 Stopped getting magazines years ago only have my favorites that I use on occasion.
#6 No plans for classes other than my annual trip to Sewing weekend with Nancy Zieman, have no idea what I will do now, so sad!!!!

Oh yes, I do believe your dreams will come true!!!!