Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Puckers after the fact (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/puckers-after-fact-t294207.html)

asabrinao 01-21-2018 10:02 AM

Puckers after the fact

Hi, All,

A friend of mine recently gave me an-almost-finished quilt that she asked me to help bind with her. She's a new quilter. The top of the quilt looks great, but the back has a lot of puckers. We talked about ways she can avoid puckers and drag in the future, but I'm wondering if there's anything we can do to smooth out the puckers on this one, if only a little. I'd hate for her to tear out all the quilting she's done and start all over.

The worst of the puckers probably have about 1/4" excess fabric. There might be 1/2" on one or two of them. I've thought about folding them over, pressing, and then doing a little slip stitch. Or maybe hand-applique-ing some patches?

The quilt is for her college-aged son, so it will probably get moved around and laundered a lot.

Any tricks?

Thanks!

EasyPeezy 01-21-2018 10:44 AM

If you have an asterisk stitch on your machine, you could put a few
here and there and I think that should help. It's like tying a quilt but
without any tails.

Maggie_Sue 01-21-2018 10:52 AM

EasyPeezy, have never thought of that. Great suggestion!

selm 01-21-2018 12:20 PM

"The worst of the puckers probably have about 1/4" excess fabric. There might be 1/2" on one or two of them. I've thought about folding them over, pressing, and then doing a little slip stitch."

I did this once on a quilt that had one large pucker right in the middle of a quilt. I didn't press, just folded and slip stitched. It seemed to work fine although I don't know how it held up over time. You couldn't really even see it after the slip stitching. My customer wasn't very particular this quilt as she felt her piecing wasn't very good anyway. One of her first quilts.

Tartan 01-21-2018 12:45 PM

​I have slip stitched a pleat in a quilt back but it was a patterned back and you couldn't even tell where it was. If it is a plain or light back slip stitch the puckers fiat and maybe make an obvious design over it. Maybe big black stitches like a Frakenstein scar?

Prism99 01-21-2018 02:45 PM

I think all of these ideas would work, and a combination of them might work best. Any or all will likely make the back look much better and would be worth the investment of time and energy.

asabrinao 01-21-2018 04:01 PM

Oh my! All of these ideas sounds GREAT! Thank you all so much! This is not the first time this forum has saved a quilt!

Jingle 01-21-2018 04:25 PM

Some great ideas here.

GEMRM 01-21-2018 04:31 PM

A college aged young man might find the Frankenstein scar idea unique and appealing!

mac 01-22-2018 11:08 AM

If you haven't already pre-washed the fabrics in the quilt, washing the quilt may just make the smaller puckers disappear or at least not as noticeable. For the larger puckers, I would undo the stitching in just those areas and see if you couldn't re-stitch and smooth out the pucker.