Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Fad toys yes,but what about "smells" from your childhood? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/fad-toys-yes-but-what-about-%22smells%22-your-childhood-t29423.html)

watterstide 11-28-2009 05:21 AM

Jubilee,
my grandma used it on the fridge and counters..(she raised me)

channel #5, she wore it everyday..

Toni Perms! yikess! she gave me a perm a couple times a year, wether i needed it or not! lol

The smell of bleach on her hands..she had a wringer washer, and when she buttoned my coat up, i could smell the bleach...
i miss her...

mrs theo 11-28-2009 05:37 AM

My grandma's kitchen, she was an excellent cook and baker. The smell of hot lemon meringue pie just out of the oven or chocolate pudding cake! Grandma herself always smelled of baby powder :)

janRN 11-28-2009 05:46 AM

This is really gross, but Pepto-Bismol. Every time we'd get an upset stomach, my mom would give us Pepto-Bismol and I'd throw up. Was it the upset stomach or the PB? Who knows. To this day it still makes me gag.

On happier note: spaghetti sauce. Every Sunday my grandma made a big spaghetti dinner for the whole family. I still use her recipe-a little of this, a little of that, nothing measured when I make sauce.

renee765 11-28-2009 06:39 AM

Playdoh - it's not a great smell, but it takes me back to elementary school whenever I catch a whiff of it.

Renee

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-28-2009 06:42 AM

Regular scented Jergen's lotion. My Mamaw used it all the time. I think of her every time I smell it and make a point of smelling it if I'm near the lotion in a store.

DA Mayer 11-28-2009 06:50 AM

New doll smell, I think the rubber or plastic smell takes me back to Christmas' past when my sisters and I would receive Barbie Dolls. Cookies baking because my mom did at least 7 different double batches when she made them. Fresh tar or blacktop makes me nauseated because of morning sickness with my first baby when they blacktopped the street outside our front door.

Catherine Marie 11-28-2009 06:53 AM

It took me ages to ever drink ginger ale as an adult. We had flat ginger ale when we were sick. And melons. Yikes! These made their appearance only at Christmas time 'cause that was 50 years ago+. Now I love 'em.

Up North 11-28-2009 06:54 AM

School paste!! Loved that stuff, Even licked my fingers ugg!
This one is weird but I loved and still do the smell of Vicks vapor rub! reminds me of grandma and ivory soap too.

QuiltingGrannie 11-28-2009 06:56 AM

The smell of the fabric store my mother shopped at! It was old, crammed FULL of fabric and I can still smell it! I wish we had one of those around here!

Deara 11-28-2009 07:06 AM

Visiting Antique Stores that have been there for years.
Brings back memories of my Auntie Anne.
Her house had that same smell of old antiques.

The Jergens lotion too. First thing I thought of when I first read this thread. My Mom used it when I was young.

New baby doll smell too. Brings me back to some very early Christmas memories.