Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oiling my machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oiling-my-machine-t294763.html)

RJLinkletter 02-13-2018 02:31 PM

Oiling my machine

I'm new to machine quilting and got my first sewing machine at Christmas. Obviously I want to look after it and have read about people oiling their machines etc. In the manual for my Brother machine it says that users should not oil the machine - only dealers. Is this right? And if so how often should I take it to be serviced?

Pat M. 02-13-2018 02:32 PM

What type of Brother do you have? Read your manual.

Austinite 02-13-2018 02:40 PM

Definitely check your manual, many modern DSMs (domestic sewing machines) do not need oiling.

SusieQOH 02-13-2018 02:41 PM

I also say read your manual. I don't oil my Bernina at all. My Juki, on the other hand, needs oil and the manual explains it.

bjchad 02-13-2018 03:01 PM

The manual says no oiling so it’s right. Machines like this should be serviced about once a year or so. Depends on how much you use it. With light use you may be able to stretch the service to every two years. At least that is what I’ve been told.

Prism99 02-13-2018 03:15 PM

Most vintage machines need oiling, but most modern machines do not.

Edit: My Bernina 1230, which is now probably "vintage" since it is getting close to 20 years old, requires only oiling of the bobbin race. I don't know if top-loading bobbins need oiling, though; mine is the other kind.

QuiltE 02-13-2018 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia M. (Post 8002801)
..........Read your manual.

.........and speak with your dealer. They have the knowledge and training to advise you on the specific model.

Correct ... Some machines are not meant to be oiled by the user.
Correct ... Some machines are meant to be oiled.

I have one of each ...............

Rhonda K 02-13-2018 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by RJLinkletter (Post 8002800)
I'm new to machine quilting and got my first sewing machine at Christmas. Obviously I want to look after it and have read about people oiling their machines etc. In the manual for my Brother machine it says that users should not oil the machine - only dealers. Is this right? And if so how often should I take it to be serviced?

Your manual is correct No oiling of the machine is needed except during the dealer maintenance.

My local dealer offers maintenance class for our machines (brand as mentioned above). They also blow out our machines when we have class.

You can have your dealer show you how to clean the bobbin case area and apply ONE drop of oil as needed.

I clean out the lint with a q tip and any loose threads at each bobbin change. The thread cutter area is another area to check for stray threads.

cashs_mom 02-13-2018 04:56 PM

I never oil my Bernina. It goes into the shop about once every 18 months or so. I used to take it in once a year when it was my only machine. Now that I have several vintage machines as well as the Bernina, I take it in less often. I do oil the bobbin area every bobbin change as they told us to do in the guide class. My vintage machines I oil as per the manual.

meyert 02-13-2018 05:34 PM

I was told never to oil my machine - if that is what your manual says then follow the manual